Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x230 - no boot after external flashing -- just keyboard power LED lights green for one second

X230-X280, X390 Series
alexgill

x230 - no boot after external flashing -- just keyboard power LED lights green for one second

#1 Post by alexgill » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:57 am

Hello,

Had Coreboot working (although the battery was losing charge when powered fully OFF). Yesterday, I used flashrom internally from the OS to flash a new 12MB image onto the chips, upon rebooting the x230 powered on with a blank screen and spinning fans. After then externally flashing, giving the laptop power would a led on the cover (LED #4) blinked three times, and nothing else. After successfully flashing chips again externally with the original backup images, upon pressing the keyboard power button, the only feedback is that keyboard power button lights for 1 second, but that's it: no fan activation or anything else except silence,

Between all these steps, the DIMM was removed, power-cycling between these various steps, along with disconnecting the CMOS.
This is where I'm at. Any suggestions are welcome.

AG

[subject line updated on 12/17/2020 to better describe behavior]

alexgill

Re: x230 - no boot after external flashing -- just keyboard power LED lights green for one second

#2 Post by alexgill » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:25 pm

I was lucky someone on another forum pointed me in the right direction, so share that here.
See below for the demonstration of the problem (youtube) and the discussion (reddit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqxOj2-MlM
https://www.reddit.com/r/coreboot/comme ... 30/fmytpm0