Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T30 memory slot problem

T20-T23 Series and T30 specific matters only. NOT for T25-Retro.

Have you experience of this problem?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:42 am

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 10

bacs

T30 memory slot problem

#1 Post by bacs » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:42 am

T30 2366-96G / Windows XP Prof SP2

I have just installed two 512mb 266mhz Kingston memories to replace the original 256 memory.

The T30 recognizes only one of the 512mHz memories and is not running on 512 rather than 1024mb. I have exchanged the memories, with no change in effect, in order to confirm that the memories are not the problem.

Is this likely to be a configuration or hardware problem?
If this is a config problem than how can I install the full 1024?
If this is a hardware problem then is this likely to be a major or minor repair (e.g. open-fix-close; or replace main-board)?

Also, is this a common problem?

GomJabbar

#2 Post by GomJabbar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:45 am

Try going into the BIOS (F1 at beginning of boot sequence). If you see something like Initialize (I'm not knowledgeable about the T-30 model) choose that. If not, just choose save changes and exit. Hopefully all your memory will now show up.
DKB

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by JHEM » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:02 am

Known problem with the T30 motherboard. Requires replacement to correct the problem.

Regards,

James
James at thinkpads dot com
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

brooklynboy
Freshman Member

#4 Post by brooklynboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Call 800-IBM-SERV and describe the problem. Say that you heard that there's an "engineering change" available to correct it, described in document MIGR-44772.

Repair should be free within the warranty period, and probably free even outside the warranty.

Good luck!

AbsoluteRaleigh

#5 Post by AbsoluteRaleigh » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:47 pm

It is free during the warrantee period...

I sent in a dozen machines for this last week. The front memory slot was bad on all of them. About 75% of them came back labeled new system board. The other 25% said "engineering change"- (I think they got new boards as well but I keep forgetting to check.)
Len
AbsoluteRaleigh

brooklynboy
Freshman Member

#6 Post by brooklynboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:37 pm

Mine was repaired free outside the one-year refurb warranty (though within the three-year original warranty, which theoretically should not have applied).

Ogg
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Ogg » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:21 am

brooklynboy wrote:...Say that you heard that there's an "engineering change" available to correct it, described in document MIGR-44772.
Is the MIGR document number above accurate? I did a search for the exact above MIGR # and nothing was found.

bacs

document not found

#8 Post by bacs » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:45 am

I couldn't find the document either

Maurice

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by JHEM » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:45 am

Ogg wrote:Is the MIGR document number above accurate? I did a search for the exact above MIGR # and nothing was found.
Yes, but it's not available from any of the public websites, requires an IBM/Lenovo Partner PW to access.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

brooklynboy
Freshman Member

#10 Post by brooklynboy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:31 am

I found the document # mentioned, and its substance quoted, on a non-IBM public web site a number of months ago, when doing a search on something like "T30 doesn't recognize memory." It now seems to have been expunged.

darcym

Additional information request

#11 Post by darcym » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:01 pm

I've got 2 Thinkpad T30's here and I'm having the same problem with 1 of them.

An interesting point to note is that if I stick 2x256 sticks in the buggy T30 it detects both Ram sticks and displays 512, if I stick the 2x512 sticks in it only detects 1, is this a known issue that it only effects the 512 sticks.

I know the sticks are fine as they work %100 in the other T30.

I'm in the UK and waiting to see what IBM say about this.

What sort of cost should I be looking at for this to be fixed (debating if it is worth it, the extra ram would be nice but not at the cost of a new laptop)

I'd really like to know more and understand this issue.

Great forum, and great info. Found this problem straight away.

Miles

Re: Additional information request

#12 Post by Miles » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:28 am

darcym wrote: An interesting point to note is that if I stick 2x256 sticks in the buggy T30 it detects both Ram sticks and displays 512, if I stick the 2x512 sticks in it only detects 1, is this a known issue that it only effects the 512 sticks.

I'm in the UK and waiting to see what IBM say about this.

What sort of cost should I be looking at for this to be fixed.

I'd really like to know more and understand this issue.
When I first started experiencing this problem was intermittent. I gather the root of the problem is power to the slot, so maybe your slot is dying and since the 256 MB take less power it shows up. AFAIK the slot will eventually completely die.

I'm also in the UK and finally decided to get this sorted out. I gave IBM a call yesterday and they were able to see if it was still under warranty through the model and serial number. Since it was still under warranty I decided to get it fixed and dropped it off at TNT today. I should get it back in 10 days. It can't hurt to give them a call, the number is: 01475 555 055.

I'm also curious to see if the motherboard switch (and associated bios upgrade) means I can use 1GB sticks.

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#13 Post by JHEM » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:38 am

Miles wrote:I'm also curious to see if the motherboard switch (and associated bios upgrade) means I can use 1GB sticks.
Any T30, with or without the MB modification, with the latest BIOS installed will max out the RAM at 2GB with two 1GB PC2100 sticks installed.

Regards,

James

Miles

#14 Post by Miles » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:28 am

JHEM wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm also curious to see if the motherboard switch (and associated bios upgrade) means I can use 1GB sticks.
Any T30, with or without the MB modification, with the latest BIOS installed will max out the RAM at 2GB with two 1GB PC2100 sticks installed.
Thanks James, that's excellent news!

Miles

nedserb

#15 Post by nedserb » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:48 pm

I followed the advice of JHEM and Bruce Markowitz over on the Thinkpad mail list and IBM indeed treated it like a warranty repair despite the T30 being long out of warranty.

I picked up a T30 that had the memory slot issue but the machine was over two years beyond the warranty. I called IBM and they fixed the machine for free. Treated as an EZSERV - sent and picked-up the box and had the laptop back inside a week. The paper that came back with the laptop indicated that they replaced the motherboard. And to my pleasure, they also replaced the keyboard bezel and the keyboard! Both were kinda beat up from use. The repair tech even put new screw covers on the LCD (the former owner had apparently disassembled the LCD).

Left off a hinge screw in the back though...
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#16 Post by JHEM » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:07 pm

nedserb wrote:I followed the advice of JHEM and Bruce Markowitz
A clear path to doom! :lol:

Regards,

James
Last edited by JHEM on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcnieves

#17 Post by jcnieves » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:10 pm

Prepare for a 'for ever' problem.
I sent my T30 to warranty, they replaced the mainboard, BUT, 1 year later, the problem is back again! :x

jcnieves

#18 Post by jcnieves » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:13 pm

nedserb wrote:I followed the advice of JHEM and Bruce Markowitz over on the Thinkpad mail list and IBM indeed treated it like a warranty repair despite the T30 being long out of warranty.

I picked up a T30 that had the memory slot issue but the machine was over two years beyond the warranty. I called IBM and they fixed the machine for free. Treated as an EZSERV - sent and picked-up the box and had the laptop back inside a week. The paper that came back with the laptop indicated that they replaced the motherboard. And to my pleasure, they also replaced the keyboard bezel and the keyboard! Both were kinda beat up from use. The repair tech even put new screw covers on the LCD (the former owner had apparently disassembled the LCD).

Left off a hinge screw in the back though...
That's correct, they replace the red bezel, full inside cleaning, and outside shine it looks like new after that, ver nice service.

pae77

#19 Post by pae77 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:58 pm

My T30 had the mem slot problem and IBM replaced the MB after the warranty was over. I noticed the little red ring around the mic jack is broken, however. I guess they used a refurbished MB. Was tempted to send it back again, but it just doesn't seem worth it.
HP DV8t | Intel i7-Q 720 | 6GB (DDR3 1333) RAM | 1 TB (500GB Seagate 7200 rpm x2)| GeForce GT 230M (1GB) | 18.4" FHD | SuperMulti 8X w Lightscribe | FP Reader | Bluetooth | HDTV Tuner | Win 7 Ultimate x64. Backup: T61p (8891-CTO)

adamdenmark

#20 Post by adamdenmark » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:32 pm

I too have a T30 with 2x512. Today it stopped recognising the full 1gb - I have swapped the ram back and forth, tested them on another machine - the ram blocks are fine... so problem must be with the motherboard :(

marcos
Sophomore Member

#21 Post by marcos » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:40 pm

Please move the tread to T30 ..

I had a t30 and the 1-shot problem appeared 10 days after purchase (was refurbished). Never got it fixed under warranty, until the motherboard died after 1yr. The $200+ replacement was fine, but the whole t30 got stolen together with my T40 and other stuff ... not to mention the T30 had failed trackpad buttons, keyboard and don't remember what else. Byt time has passed and I've moved on...

In short, my T30 sucked. the T40 was significantly better, and I love my present T42 (crossing fingers).
T440s OK so far.
T420s NVIDIA graphics. Nice, then MB failure.
T400s Workhorse. two of'em, both faulty display with vertical stripes.
T43 °very nice° - MB reflown and dead, two of'em.
T42 15°, dead onboard wireless.
T40, dead memory slot, stolen from me
T30, stolen from me
TP600 dead

Memphis

#22 Post by Memphis » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:26 pm

Encountered the same with 2x256MB to my used T30 from bay, which actually seems that it hasn´t been used at all in the past 2 years, so obviously no one encountered the prob before.
Initially intermittently with an increasing tendency (carrying the T30 on each journey), but eventually couldn´t restore from hibernation nor boot.
Got the hint from this forum, first swapped the ram modules to check, whether one is may be faulty, but nothing, so freeing the affected slot made the machine working normally again.
As my T30 has still some hardware warranty, got already RMA instructions (board replacement), meanwhile helped myself by putting some paperboard between the ram stick and cover.

john215

#23 Post by john215 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:13 pm

I bought my T30 off eBay about two weeks ago. It was an impulse purchase, and the auction was ending soon, so I didn't do much research on the T30. Shortly after winning the auction, I found out about the memory problem that affects T30s. When I got my T30 it came with 256MB of RAM. I quickly ordered another 512MB to see if my T30 was affected. I opened up the memory cover and was surprised to find 2X256 DIMMs. :idea: So I pretty much knew I was affected. I put in the 512MB and it only recognized one slot.

I took BooklynBoy's advise and called IBM. My machine is out of warranty as of 8/05, but it doesn't matter. I quoted the document number, 44772, and they knew waht I was talking about. They said a DHL box will be here tomorrow for me to send the T30 to IBM. :lol:

At the end of the conversation, I made sure to confirm that I wouldn't have to pay for anything. They said, "No, we'll take care of it." They also said, "You know what the deal is" :wink: I quess since I quoted the document number and described that it was the front slot affected and the beeps it makes and failure to boot when only using the front slot.

I'll keep you all advised.

BTW, why the hell would anybody advertise that they will fix this for you, then go on eBay and charge you $80. Then just send your T30 to IBM who fixes it for free? What a scam!

nikemen

so, same here

#24 Post by nikemen » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:12 pm

So, I seem to have the same problem with a friends T30
She has a nice T42, I have a couple T41 and T42, but we were getting the T30 up and running for her son. I told her, that 256MB RAM is just not acceptable for winnxp, and she said, "but I bought 512MB from IBM"

So, i popped open the back and sho nuff, there were TWO 256MB sticks in there.

I swapped the sticks, nothing, I put each into the first slot and they both worked, so it should work.

Seems to be the same issue. What and where is the document to quote to IBM for out of warranty repair?

john215

#25 Post by john215 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:26 am

It's posted just above:
"Call 800-IBM-SERV and describe the problem. Say that you heard that there's an "engineering change" available to correct it, described in document MIGR-44772.

Repair should be free within the warranty period, and probably free even outside the warranty. "

I called, they sent a DHL package the very next day. I mailed the package back the next day. All free of charge. Hurry up though. I heard that they are stopping this free repair at the end of March 06. They gave me absolutely no hassles.

john215

#26 Post by john215 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:02 pm

BE CAREFUL FOLKS. I came home last night to a message from IBM stating that this was a billable repair and it would cost $425 for a new system board. Needless to say, I had a hard time sleeping last night. This was a complete 180 from both what IBM initially told me and from what you all have experianced with this problem.

Well I just called them and they wanted to charge me because it was out of warranty. I explained that I know that, but it was agreed upon already that they would fix it in accordance with the engineering change order. She put me on hold and said, "Ok, sir we'll fix it". We'll see.

nikemen

well

#27 Post by nikemen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:25 pm

Well, I called them on Monday and described the issue. They sent a DHL box, which I just shipped back yesterday,

The guy on the phone said, yes it would be "covered" and said nothing of expense. I sure hope I don't get a call like yours, I HATE having to DEAL with issues like that.

don't get me wrong, I got a name and the gentleman said it would be covered. So, we'll see how it plays out.

Must be t30 month at IBM USA.

:-)

john215

#28 Post by john215 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:20 am

The guy I spoke with in Atlanta, Khalil, said that it would be "covered" as well. But then after they have my computer, I get the message saying, no it's going to be 425 + tax. I called them earlier today and they caved after just a simple question as to why they won't "cover" the repair. I really think they were testing me to see if I'd pay for something they already promised.

Now I got home tonight to yet another message, from the same lady as yesterday, again saying they won't fix it unless I pay. I didn't speak to her earlier because she was away from her desk. It was another woman said they'd fix it. I don't know if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, or they're just waffling. I plan to find out tomorrow!

john215

#29 Post by john215 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Well, I called them this morning, fully anticipating a hard time. I finally got a hold of the lady who's been calling me. The said that it must have been fixed after she went home, because according to her records it was not only released, but also shipped. Half an hour later, DHL was at my front door.

They included paperwork that says that they replaced the planar card, IBM speak for motherboard. They also stated to have updated the BIOS and embedded controllers. They actually downgraded both of them to older version than the lastest ones that I installed.??? I checked in the BIOS and all of my memory is recognized and the system board s/n, uuid, and mac addresses have all changed. So far, so good.

nikemen

nice

#30 Post by nikemen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:27 pm

maybe mine will get here tomorrow!