Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How do I play key sounds when I type?

2020 New name Series after T430-T490 / T530-T590
bex1210

How do I play key sounds when I type?

#1 Post by bex1210 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:02 pm

I have two Lenovo Thinkpad laptops: a T14 and an older E430. Both are running Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H2, OS Build 19044.1526 (the latest as of this post).

I want to have my keyboard play a key sound when I type. I searched both Lenovo and Windows, and both provide the same directions: In Windows, go to Settings, select Devices, click Typing, and under Touch keyboard, switch on 'Play key sounds as I type'.

Here is the link to the Lenovo instructions:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/soluti ... ad-ideapad

But there is NO 'Touch keyboard' entry under Typing on either of my Thinkpads! I have searched the internet, and this is the only information that I can find on how to play key sounds as I type.

Does anyone have this feature working, and if so, what are the steps required to do so?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Harry

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: How do I play key sounds when I type?

#2 Post by dr_st » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:16 am

The feature you found is aimed at touch keyboards, not actual keyboards.

Try this: https://www.laptopmag.com/how-to/enable ... windows-10
Or this: https://www.mobigyaan.com/how-to-get-ke ... windows-10
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

bex1210

#3 Post by bex1210 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:08 am

dr-st:

Thanks for the very rapid reply.

Aren't all mechanical keyboards 'touch <g>'? I guess I am old fashioned, but I don't know why anyone would want a silent keyboard, especially since the ones on the Thinkpad don't have any detents that I can feel.

Thanks for the links. I didn't realize that you had to turn on "Use Filter Keys" to get the options to pop up.
But that turns out to be a mixed bag. Using that Filter Key option provides the clicks, but you must give up the repeat option, so if one wants to type 12 letter 'a', one must hit 'a' 12 times. That doesn't work for what I do.

The Mechvibes option seems like a great one. But I had a lot of trouble getting it to unzip. And once I did, the .exe won't run. I get a 'Loading' screen, and it just hangs there. I even tried running as an Administrator.

I'll try it again tomorrow.

BYW, I did find a program called ClicKey. But every time I boot the computer, I have to reset all the variables, apparently because it runs in RAM. I need to dig into it somewhat deeper.

Harry

bex1210

#4 Post by bex1210 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:16 pm

dr-st:

I have spent a lot of time trying to get these to work, with little success.

Neither will work on my Lenovo Thinkpad T14. Running latest version of Windows 10 Pro 21H2.
The Windows Filter Keys method installs, but does nothing. No sounds at all.

The Mechvibes program
https://www.mobigyaan.com/how-to-get-ke ... windows-10
appears to load, but once unzipped it won't run. Neither the word Mechvibes nor the list of Cherry switches appear in the rectangular image that opens on the screen. When you try to uninstall it the conventional way, one keeps getting a message that it is in use. I have force deleted it, and then downloaded and reinstalled it several times, with no success.

I got a program named ClicKey to run on my Thinkpad E430 (uses same latest version of Windows 10 Pro), and that works great. Unfortunately it doesn't work on the Thinkpad T14. It installs, but makes no sounds. I did not try Mechvibes on my E430.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Harry