Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

OS/2 USB Drivers -- where?

OS/2 on ThinkPads
Richard Beeson

OS/2 USB Drivers -- where?

#1 Post by Richard Beeson » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:17 pm

Does anyone know where to find USB drivers for OS/2? I still use it on my Thinkpad 600. IBM has closed their software downloads to anyone who doesn't purchase a software subscription. They should rot in China. Doesn't matter if you bought the software in the box, you're out of luck. Anyone know of any other sites that might have the drivers? I only need the basic drivers, nothing fancy, so I can use my USB memory sticks.
Richard Beeson

BigWarpGuy

USB for OS/2-eCS Driver Sites

#2 Post by BigWarpGuy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:55 am

BigGoofyGuy 8)
http://www.biggoofyguy.com
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

http://www.cafepress.com/tomleem

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Richard Beeson

zod/2 ISB drivers

#3 Post by Richard Beeson » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:29 pm

Many thanks. I'll follow these up.
Richard Beeson

Blonde Guy

Free USB support for OS/2

#4 Post by Blonde Guy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:24 am

By now, you've seen that most of the sources Big Warp Guy gave you are fee-based for OS/2.

Remember 1999?
There are three ways to go:
1 - keep using free stuff as long as you want.
2 - buy an annual subscription from IBM
3 - buy and register eComStation

If you choose #3, it works out of the box.

If you choose #1, and it sounds like you did, then using Google really hard will find free USB drivers for OS/2. Read the readme carefully -- USB is a stack. You need the following.

BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0

And most memory sticks will work. The first line will be different for each type of hardware. I've posted what worked on my Thinkpad. Your Thinkpad is old, and has USB 1.1. Most memory sticks are USB 2.0. The memory stick makers tested on Windows. They do not care that you want to use OS/2. The SanDisk brand works well on my OS/2 machines.

Neil
Neil Waldhauer neil@blondeguy.com www.blondeguy.com
Expert consulting for OS/2 Warp and eComStation

Richard Beeson

USB for OS/2

#5 Post by Richard Beeson » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:22 pm

Neil, thanks for the info. I'll give your solution a shot.

Richard
Richard Beeson

Re: OS/2 USB Drivers -- where?

#6 Post by Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:22 pm

Richard Beeson wrote:Does anyone know where to find USB drivers for OS/2? I still use it on my Thinkpad 600. IBM has closed their software downloads to anyone who doesn't purchase a software subscription. They should rot in China. Doesn't matter if you bought the software in the box, you're out of luck. Anyone know of any other sites that might have the drivers? I only need the basic drivers, nothing fancy, so I can use my USB memory sticks.
You can obtain a Passport Advantage account for free just by signing up with IBM. From there you search for Warp and when it comes up you opt to purchase a 'maintainence contract' . Depending on the whim of IBM, you'll pay as little as $65 to as high as $120 (or perhaps a bit higher, I'm not sure anymore). The contract is good for one year from date of purchase and IBM will send you the latest release of OS/2 Warp 4.52 along with 9 other CDs of various updates and files - including (although certainly not needed) three floppy installation disks should you ever need them.

If, otoh, you would prefer not to sign up with IBM I will report that the latest USB drivers for OS/2 are often found on the Gnutella Network and offered by a variety of what must be OS/2 users. Gnutella is, of course, the network all P2P (Xnap, Limewire, BearShare, etc) users rely on to find files they would otherwise not have privy too.

Hope that helps!

Richard Beeson

USB drivers for OS/2

#7 Post by Richard Beeson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Tim, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try Gnutella. I use the OS/2 pretty rarely. I just want the capabality to be there when I need it. But I don't like the idea of paying for basic drivers. No wonder IBM lost the OS wars.

Richard
Richard Beeson

Re: Free USB support for OS/2

#8 Post by Guest » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:47 am

Blonde Guy wrote:By now, you've seen that most of the sources Big Warp Guy gave you are fee-based for OS/2.

Remember 1999?
There are three ways to go:
1 - keep using free stuff as long as you want.
2 - buy an annual subscription from IBM
3 - buy and register eComStation

If you choose #3, it works out of the box.

If you choose #1, and it sounds like you did, then using Google really hard will find free USB drivers for OS/2. Read the readme carefully -- USB is a stack. You need the following.

BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0

And most memory sticks will work. The first line will be different for each type of hardware. I've posted what worked on my Thinkpad. Your Thinkpad is old, and has USB 1.1. Most memory sticks are USB 2.0. The memory stick makers tested on Windows. They do not care that you want to use OS/2. The SanDisk brand works well on my OS/2 machines.

Neil
You can get any OS/2 "fee based" file on Xnap or Limewire. Search for "OS2 USB" and you'll find them. Whatever you do, avoid eComStation. Piece of junk. They ripped me off good. I bought an IBM subscription. THAT worked. Blond Guy is right. Use the config.sys statements above.

Batuta

#9 Post by Batuta » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:12 pm

Last edited by Batuta on Thu May 12, 2005 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Die Hard OS/2

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by JaneL » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:25 pm

OK, is it just me, or is anyone else having a problem with determining just whom is bashing whom?
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Batuta

#11 Post by Batuta » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:22 pm

Last edited by Batuta on Thu May 12, 2005 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Die Hard OS/2

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#12 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:01 am

nonny wrote:OK, is it just me, or is anyone else having a problem with determining just whom is bashing whom?
gentlemen..
be nice to nonny..
she is a moderator and a trusted friend and advisor..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

Batuta

#13 Post by Batuta » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:21 am

Last edited by Batuta on Thu May 12, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Die Hard OS/2

Thomas M.

Passport Advantage for free?

#14 Post by Thomas M. » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:41 pm

Tim Martin, aka OS2Guy, should have better read his in the bottom mentioned Website where it is said "Where to BUY Passport Advantage".
Thomas

RadarCat

Re: OS/2 USB Drivers -- where?

#15 Post by RadarCat » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:40 am

Richard Beeson wrote:Does anyone know where to find USB drivers for OS/2? I still use it on my Thinkpad 600. IBM has closed their software downloads to anyone who doesn't purchase a software subscription. They should rot in China. Doesn't matter if you bought the software in the box, you're out of luck. Anyone know of any other sites that might have the drivers? I only need the basic drivers, nothing fancy, so I can use my USB memory sticks.
:cool:

Hi, Richard,

You may wish to check the drivers page on my web site at:

http://www.os2warplinks.com/main/drivers.htm

This page has a fairly long list of links to international web sites that specialize in driver downloads for OS/2 Warp.

Good Luck !!
RadarCat, Webmaster
http://www.os2warplinks.com