Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R51 touchpad, trackpoint and external mouse not working.

R, A, G and Z series specific matters only. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
bigbadbrad

R51 touchpad, trackpoint and external mouse not working.

#1 Post by bigbadbrad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi, I've been lurking here for a few months and have found this sight invaluable for a new Thinkpadder, such as myself. Fantastic job you folks do here.

I have an R51, type 2888.

The trackpoint and touchpad are not functioning at all any longer. An external mouse will work with limited success as it will move the mouse cursor some, but not like it should. I have turned the touchpad off and on again in the Thinkpad Configuration area, as well as reinstalling the drivers for the touchpad.

I'm beginning to think it might be a board issue. Any thoughts, ideas or maybe someone has had the same problem?

Thanks for any help.
T60p
X61

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: R51 touchpad, trackpoint and external mouse not working.

#2 Post by Harryc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Brad, welcome to the forums. If the touchpad is enabled in BIOS, then I'd guess that either the cable needs to be reseated at the systemboard, or it is defective, in which case you can get an entire palmrest assembly off of Ebay. First I would try to disconnect the touchpad entirely and see if the trackpoint is now working. This could also be a driver issue. Make sure you have the most recent drivers installed for both.

bigbadbrad

#3 Post by bigbadbrad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks for your reply, Harry, that was fast!

I don't know why the bios settings would have changed, but I'll check them. What worries me though is that an external mouse will not work properly with my R51, either. Would it be affected by a loose wire at the touchpad?

Thanks again.
T60p
X61

Got2UnderClock

#4 Post by Got2UnderClock » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:33 am

bigbadbrad wrote:Thanks for your reply, Harry, that was fast!

I don't know why the bios settings would have changed, but I'll check them. What worries me though is that an external mouse will not work properly with my R51, either. Would it be affected by a loose wire at the touchpad?

Thanks again.
ROFL