Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IBM high rate wireless LAN and WPA?

T4x series specific matters only
fredstev
Freshman Member

IBM high rate wireless LAN and WPA?

#1 Post by fredstev » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:48 am

I originally posted this question over on Broadbandreports.com, but didn't get any input except a suggestion to try this forum.

OK, here's what I've got. A Linksys WRT54G router and two IBM thinkpads, a T20 with a Linky WPC54G card and a T23 that came with a "IBM high rate wireless LAN mini-pci card" running firmware 1.7.2 and driver version 2.0.9.

No problems using WPA-PSK between the router and the T20 with the WPC54G card. The T23 is a "B" only card and supports WEP, both 64 and 128 bit. The T23 connects and works just fine with no encryption enabled and the router set in B-G mixed mode.

My question: does anyone know of a way to upgrade the driver for the T23 so it'll support WPA? The driver supplier for this card is Actiontec, and a google search has not come up with any helpful info with either them or IBM. I'm hoping that there is a Thinkpad user out there that may have some ideas.
fredstev

Acer Timeline X 4830TG-6808
Thinkpad T61 6460-66U
Thinkpad X60 1707-CTO (repurposed)
Thinkpad X60 1707-5KU
Shrinkpad X31 2672-REU (semi-retired)

daeojkim
ThinkPad Partner
ThinkPad Partner

#2 Post by daeojkim » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:37 pm

My A31p had the high rate wireless card that only did b as well. It only supported up to WEP, and all my other computers uses WPA. So I just bought a new IBM b/g card, install the drivers and it is working superbly.

As far as just changing the drivers I am not if it is purely software dependent or wireless chipset dependent as well.
* T61* X41 * T500 * Yoga 2

fredstev
Freshman Member

#3 Post by fredstev » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:04 am

bump
fredstev

Thinkpad T61 6460-66U
Thinkpad X60 1707-5KU

dj_kfc

WPA for wireless on T23

#4 Post by dj_kfc » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:47 am

I have the same/similar problem.

I'm using a Netgear DG834G with my T23. The wireless adapter is only ever identified very generically, ie. no exact model number... just as;

(most info from device properties in device manager)

IBM High Rate Wireless LAN MiniPCI Combo Card
Driver/Firmware Version: 2.09/1.72
Manufacturer: Actiontec Electronics, Inc

In this device properties menu, the encryption Tab only gives the WEP as an encryption type.

I updated my IBM Access Connections to 3.71, WEP only appears as an encryption type under the "Edit Wireless LAN Settings" in IBM Access Connections. Before, with v3.40, I had the WPA option greyed out.

Anyone know for sure if this adapter can/cannot be upgraded to support WPA?

Much appreciated, Russ

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by jdhurst » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:01 am

I asked IBM about the High Rate card that came on T30's, and they said the card did not support WPA. ... JD Hurst

fredstev
Freshman Member

#6 Post by fredstev » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:15 pm

jdhurst wrote:I asked IBM about the High Rate card that came on T30's, and they said the card did not support WPA. ... JD Hurst
I think that jd has the simple answer - no support for WPA using this card. I guess I'll bump back to WEP for now. We live far enough out in the sticks that it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, everyone
fredstev

Thinkpad T61 6460-66U
Thinkpad X60 1707-5KU

jbridges

There is a WPA solution!

#7 Post by jbridges » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:04 pm

All my research said "NO WPA" on IBM High Rate card (that came with my A30p).

So I bought a refurb IBM 802.11a/b/g card (cost around $43 from Eagle).

But after days of fiddling, I could not get it to function. I kept getting (Code 10) errors, the driver would not start. I did get the extra Ethernet Adapter error from the BIOS so the BIOS saw it. I tried both the original drivers included on CD with the card, and the latest ones from software update. Same problem.

In the process I had to pick up a USB wireless adapter to have net access (so I didn't have to switch back the old card each time I wanted to download a file or research the problem). That USB adapter (a NetGear MA111V2) was only $20 and did not have WPA support. In looking around for updated drivers for SIS 162 (the chipset used in the NetGear MA111V2). I found a open source project called wpa_supplicant.

wpa_supplicant is not only for Linux, it has been ported to Windows (using CYGWIN). Amazingly, it worked! I was able to get the MA111V2 to work with WPA by running wpa_supplicant (not so easy to setup, but worked fine once I figured it out).

So I switched back to the IBM combo card, giving up on getting my new return mini-PCI card to ever function, and tried to get wpa_supplicant working. Sadly, it appears the IBM drivers are so old, they don't even have the hooks in them to allow an outside WPA utility!

Knowing that the IBM card using the Intersil Prism chipset, I went looking for newer drivers.

I found this thread on the NetStumbler forums:
http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=11366

I downloaded the Fujitsu drivers for the Intersil Prism 2.5, removed the IBM drivers, installed the Fujitsu, and now I see WPA options in the Wireless network setup! No need for wpa_supplicant, just updated drivers from Intersil!

Wireless_Intersil_WPA_v3.0.4_XP

Unfortunately, the updated drivers only support WPA-PSK with TKIP not AES, so I had to switch my network from AES to TKIP encryption.

Otherwise, I'm quite pleased!

(I'll have to contact Eagle and see if they will take a return on the IBM refurb 802.11a/b/g mini-PCI card, maybe it's defective?)

fredstev
Freshman Member

#8 Post by fredstev » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:50 am

Interesting find you made on the netstumbler forum, jbridges. After I replace my defunct hdd, I'll mess around with this.

Thanks
fredstev

Thinkpad T61 6460-66U
Thinkpad X60 1707-5KU

thibouille27

#9 Post by thibouille27 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:19 am

I upgraded the driver but still no wpa.
I seems that the forimware is responsibme for the wpa support and I have no clue which firmware number I should flash it to.

Also, strangely my WRT54G will NOT give any IP to my wireless if I enable any security (being WEP or WPA). VERY anoying.

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by davidspalding » Sun May 14, 2006 10:54 am

Depends on the hardware. I have a few years old Cisco Aironet 350 802.11b PC Card (willing to sell, as I have a newer a/b/g card coming) that has firmware updates as recent as last year. Works great. Supports WPA TKIP ... but not WPA2, as Cisco provides the AES support via hardware. The 350 doesn' t have the hardware, so ... that's that. :P

So some of these old "b" cards which won't even do WPA PSK-TKIP ... I'd junk them for something newer.k

As for Fredstev ... did you find a resolution? I wonder if a Aironet 350 mini-PCI card would work in your T23 ... they were offered with the T30 (I had one at Cisco, actually), and it was a superb combo.
2668-75U T43, 2GB RAM, 2nd hand NMB kybd, Dock II, spare Mini-Dock, and spare Port Replicators. Wacom BT tablet. Ultrabay 2nd HDD.
2672-KBU X32, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm TravelStar HDD.

texbet

Re: IBM high rate wireless LAN and WPA?

#11 Post by texbet » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 am

You guys are great! The post by Jbridges on the Wireless_Intersil_WPA_v3.0.4_XP driver worked perfectly! I have an older IBM A31 laptop with the built in Prism/Intersil/IBM High Speed Wireless Mini Combo card and this driver worked by manually updating it! It allowed me to use my Cisco E1000 with WPA/WPA2 Mixed mode! Here is where I got the driver:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/d ... id=1164735

Watch the video or listen to the key to provide credentials, then you can download it. Extract it and then manually go to the device and force it to use the driver you just extracted. Happy Wifi'ing on an ancient computer!

I got this old unit at an auction for less than nothing and am resetting it to sell it as a basic laptop. Quite the find. :banana: