Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Error 2100: HDD0 (HardDisk Drive) initialization error (2)?

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Chris2011

Error 2100: HDD0 (HardDisk Drive) initialization error (2)?

#1 Post by Chris2011 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Last night there was a prompt on my laptop Lenovo T61 Thinkpad (2008) about downloading and installing Windows Updates. I allowed the update to download and install. Later, the prompt told me that I should not turn off my computer, but it will turn it self off when the updates were done. This evening when I came home and turned my laptop on, the Thinkpad splash screen appeared then there were two beeps and I get this black screen with this message:
ERROR
2100:  HDD0 (Hard Disk drive) initialization error (2)
Press <ESC> to continue
I press <ESC>, and a screen output:
Boot agent  GE v 1.2.45 
boot Base Code PXE 2.1 build 086

Initializing and establishlishing link....

PXE-E61  Media type failure, check cable
PXE MOF Existing INtel boot agent

Cannot boot from any device

Current boot order and device status
1.  USB FDD:  -> Device not found
2.  ATAPI CFO MOdel HL-DT-STCD-RW-DVD DRIVE-(S->No valid operating system
3.  USB CD: -> Device not found
4.  ATA HDD0: -> Device Error
5.  PCI LAN:  Model IBA GE Slot 00CB v1245 -> No valid operating system
6.  USB HDD: -> Device not found
7.  ATA HDD1: -> Device not found

Excluded from boot order:
ATA HDD2
ATAPI CD1:

<To modify boot order>
Press F1 at Power-on.  Select Startup.
I turn off the laptop, I get another beep and power it back up. At the splash screen I press F1 and I get
BIOS Setup Utility

> Config
> Date/Time
> Security
> Startup
> Restart
> HDD Diagnostic program

BIOS Version 2.12 (7LETB2WW)
BIOS Date 2008-02-20
embedded controller version 1.08
system-unit serial number (then the serial #)
system board serial number  (then the serial #)
CPU Type
CPU Speed
When I press Startup, I get BIOS Setup Utility. There are choices:

> Boot
> Network
and other stuff...

Could someone tell me how to fix this? I don't have any CDs with the OS or anything for this laptop. Is there a particular order to use to boot it up? Does Windows Updates crash computers???!! I called Geek Squad, but they say to bring it in. I ask how much will it cost, they don't want to tell me. I wish I had never let Windows Update do an install. I thought it would be safe. But it has screwed up my laptop configurations, or did something twisted.

This has really got me down, I don't have a lot of money and this laptop is my only way to make money and keep learning web design. Thank you very much.

Chris

Thinkpad Lover
BANNED

Re: Error 2100: HDD0 (HardDisk Drive) initialization error (2)?

#2 Post by Thinkpad Lover » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Hello Chris.

Welcome to the Forum.

Very sorry to hear about the problem with your hard drive. Yes, in my experience, extensive Windows Updates can "help to cause" a hard drive failure, (especially if a hard drive was not in the best of shape to begin with), not because of the updates themselves but the extra load/stress they put on the hard drive during installation. What version of Windows are you running? I've had Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation "help" an otherwise functional PATA drive to crash. Of course, the drive was probably not in the best condition to begin with. In your case, the "Hard drive initialization error" your SATA hard drive is now giving is an indication your hard drive has failed or possibly failing. Windows updates are necessary but can be treacherous. Before allowing Windows updates, especially a major set of updates which is what it sounds like we're talking about, you want to have a good registry cleanup/Windows tune up utility program which you run on a regular basis. You also want to run a good hard drive defrag program and do a thorough virus scan at least once a week, especially if you're online frequently. A utility program which does a hard drive analysis and checks for drive errors, and locates and isolates any bad sectors is essential. So in other words you want to make sure your hard drive is in good shape and Windows is running smoothly/tuned up before doing major Windows updates or installing a lot of new programs. Then, after I finish installing a lot of new Windows updates I usually run a registry clean up program again immediately.

At this point I would try to just reboot and if you encounter the Hard drive Initialization error, turn it off and try rebooting again. Sometimes that error is a temporary annoyance and the drive will work fine again. If it persists then turn off the laptop, unplug the AC adapter, remove the battery, use a screwdriver to open the hard drive cover on the right front side. You should find a pull tab to gently pull out the hard drive. * Notice the way it's facing as you remove it * Check and make sure the hard drive is in a caddy (which helps in proper alignment). If not, get a caddy which costs just a couple of dollars. Carefully reinsert the hard drive in the proper orientation and make sure it makes full contact as you push it all the way in. Try to reboot. If you still get the error, try re-seating the hard drive once or twice more.

Hopefully reinserting the drive will fix the problem. Some others will be along soon and may suggest updating the BIOS. I've read somewhere on the Forum about BIOS updates and the Hard drive initialization error. However, it seems your hard drive was working fine but a lot of Windows updates basically destabilized and may have "helped" to crash it. If you can get it to boot up normally (by removing and reinserting it) without the Hard drive Initialization error popping up, then immediately download and run a registry cleanup/hard drive defrag/windows tune up utility program such as this free one which I use myself: http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Syste ... 99324.html (When installing, just "decline" installation of the Iobit toolbar nonsense). Then, back up all of your data on that hard drive as it may be showing signs of failure in the near future. Be prepared to invest in a new SATA hard drive for your T61. A good used one or even a new one is not too expensive nowadays.

Have a great night,
Daniel.
Last edited by Thinkpad Lover on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
240, 380Z, 390X, 570E, 600x, 701C("The ButterFly"), 770, A20...22,31, G40,41,
R32,40,50,51,52, R60,61, SL410/510,T20...23,30,40...43, T60p UXGA,T61,T400,
TransNote, X20..24,31,40,X41T,X60,61,X60/61T, Z61t, W500

No PM's please. MY email [tigerinspring1@aol.com]

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 pm

You can obtain a set of recovery disks for your ThinkPad at this forum's Marketplace, just post a WTB (want to buy) ad.

Whatever you do, do NOT let Geek Squad touch your ThinkPad with a twenty-foot pole. They are downright clueless when it comes to high-end laptops of *any* kind (ThinkPad, Mac, Alienware, ToughBook).

I've seen Windows Update crash an OS. I've *never* seen it do physical damage to any part of the computer, hard drive included.

That being said, hard drives fail, and in most cases when we least want them to...

You can boot the machine from a "live" Linux CD, and if the hard drive is visible in Linux, extract the important files to an external flash drive or another hard drive in USB enclosure, depending on how much stuff you have in there.

Also, take a look at these threads:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Th ... /td-p/8461

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-pri ... td-p/67193

Good luck and keep us posted.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p, T42, T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Thinkpad Lover
BANNED

#4 Post by Thinkpad Lover » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 am

Just to clarify: I am not saying that Windows update will directly cause physical damage to your computer or hard drive. It's important to take time and read my post carefully. That is why I go on for 2 paragraphs about using drive checking utilities, the importance of maintaining good drive health, etc.

My advice to Chris is that in the future, before beginning extensive Windows updates, or for example, installing a bunch of new programs on your hard drive (anything that will stress and put an extra load on an older drive which may not be in the best condition to begin with), it's a good idea to run some registry cleaning, hard drive defrag/checking, and Windows tune-up utilities. I have given you a link to a good one above. And of course you should back up your hard drive data on a regular basis, as hard drive failure can occur despite the best precautions.

So I have edited my original post above to make things very clear:
Yes, in my experience, extensive Windows Updates can "help to cause" a hard drive failure, (especially if a hard drive was not in the best of shape to begin with), not because of the updates themselves but the extra load/stress they put on the hard drive during installation.
And that is absolutely true. It is also possible immediately after doing Windows update that your laptop does not boot up properly/speedily the next time you turn it on. I hope you realize there is an option to uninstall certain problematic updates. I've had to do that in the past myself. I had to uninstall an update that was causing my system to hang. I had to wait until Microsoft got the bugs worked out and resent the fixed-up update to all their customers a few days later. Microsoft itself admitted there was a serious problem with that particular update, advised all of their customers to uninstall it and to wait for them to send out the new, bug-free version. Also remember to only choose "Important updates" and avoid "Optional updates." I personally always set my Windows update option to "Download updates for me but let me choose when to install them."

What "seems" to be a sudden hard drive failure can happen when a lot of new programs are being installed onto your hard drive. This can happen whether you do some major installation work or Microsoft update does. So it's important to be aware of your overall hard drive health and use some utility programs to check and fix hard drive errors on a regular basis.

Daniel.

Chris2011

#5 Post by Chris2011 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Hiya, Daniel. Hey thanks for giving me such great information. It is very helpful and I wish I knew about all this before. I haven't backed up my hard drive in over 2 years, that's pretty bad, yes. I'm running Windows XP professional, spk 3 (I believe 3 is installed). I have Norton, but I haven't run a full scan in a few weeks, it runs in the background. I am online everyday, and I keep my laptop in Standby mode when I'm away from it.

The prompt said "critical" updates, so I just trusted it and let it do it's thing. There were 10 updates, it did take a while. How do I uninstall them? I don't know what the updates were to even contact Microsoft to ask if there is a fix or how to uninstall. Is there a way to identify what the new updates were? Like using a date or keyword or anything? I'm sorry I ever let them download now, but I'll def be more cautious in the future. Maybe I'll get a Mac!

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. I haven't even booted my laptop up yet. I'm going to google to see if I can find the ThinkPad manual online (is it available on this website?) where it can show me exactly where the hard drive is located and how to remove it. No offense to you for your instructions, and I will follow along, but I learn how to do things better with pictures/diagrams like "show me" kind of stuff.

Thanks for the link to the cleanup program. I really hope that reinstalling my hard drive fixes this problem and I will def run the cleanup, back up my files asap as well as get a new/reburbished (dont have much money) SATA hard disk. I need a new battery too, that died a few months ago and I've just been running it on the AC.

Back later...

Chris

Chris2011

#6 Post by Chris2011 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks, ajkula66, for your help and for the warning about Geek Squad. My laptop crashed in 2009 due to virus, and I took it to them for repair. It cost me $299 because they had to clear it back to factory settings and back up all my data. Believe me, I don't want to use them to fix my problem now, plus I don't have that kind of cash. (rant -> I'm at the point where I will never want to install another Windows Update. It seems They should be the ones paying for my laptop to be repaired. At the very least, they should warn people that their updates can crash your hard drive. I'll never trust MS again and I plan to inundate them with emails, FB posts, tweets and a phone call about what has happened to my laptop. /-> rant)

For the WTB ads, what exactly do I say I want to buy? Recovery disks for ThinkPad T61 or something else?

Thanks for the links as well to other threads. I'll def check them out.
ajkula66 wrote:You can boot the machine from a "live" Linux CD, and if the hard drive is visible in Linux, extract the important files to an external flash drive or another hard drive in USB enclosure, depending on how much stuff you have in there.
Where can I get a "live" linux CD? How does it work to boot up the laptop when it cant boot up on it's own? When you say "visible", does a GUI appear showing me my hard drive like say ...a Windows Explorer -type?

Thanks,
Chris

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by TuuS » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:04 pm

The harddrive on a T61 is beyond easy to remove/replace. On the palm rest where your right palm sits, there is a cover on the side. A single screw holds it in place, remove the screw and the cover. There is then a looped plastic strip that is tucked in, you can untuck it with your screwdriver then use it to slide the drive out.

It's that easy, but if you need pictures, there are plenty online, just do a search.

Once removed, there are 4 screws to remove the drive from the caddy

You can probably fix yours, but I've found that once a drive starts having problems like this, it may be find for data storage, but probably isn't the best choice for installing an operating system on. One trick some people do is to repartition the drive leaving a unused space (or small unformatted partiton) at the beginning of the drive. The theory is that this is the most used area of the drive, and by forcing the operating system onto a less used area, it won't have as many problems. I think this might work if you can't afford a drive, but drives are pretty cheap, a 750GB 7200rpm drive is under $80, and you can probably get a small drive under $20, so trying to "bandaid" them together isn't a good idea.

Good luck with your T61, I have several of them and love them, great machine despite the nVidia issues.

Chris2011

#8 Post by Chris2011 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:48 pm

TuuS, thanks for the information, friend. It sounds easy how you guys describe. I depend on this laptop, I want to do everything exact right way. I haven't gotten into the hardware side of things yet in my learning path. I'll google the HdD costs as well. I didn't want to lose the data, mostly. Also, if I had to get a new HdD, I'd have to buy the XP OS wouldn't I? Well, prob Win 7, if they don't sell XP anymore. I don't have any OS media, it was installed when I got it. This Windows update really jacked my sh*t, man.

Thanks again,
Chris

Thinkpad Lover
BANNED

#9 Post by Thinkpad Lover » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi Chris,

like I said the Windows updates themselves are not to blame directly. As a matter of fact they could have nothing to do with your drive beginning to show signs of failure. Drives can fail when you least expect them to. But probably the combination of so many updates at once on a drive that may not have been in the best of shape did lead to the error. What you need to do now is try to remove and re-seat the drive and see if you can get it to boot back up. Then, immediately back up all your data. Then run a good utility program as recommended above. Perhaps the drive will be useable for a while longer. But once you see that kind of error you wanna start looking into ordering another hard drive and have it on hand. If it was just a one time problem and the drive keeps running smoothly, great. But the Hard Drive initialization error is not usually a good sign.

As for the updates themselves, I wouldn't bother trying to uninstall any of them. Most of the Windows XP updates I have encountered for a long time now are tried and true unless you chose some of the optional software updates which could be problematic. I was just mentioning that there is an option to uninstall a particular MS update if necessary but I don't think you need to mess with that right now. To make sure your system keeps running smoothly with the new updates, your system will need some fine tuning (a good registry cleaning, Windows tune-up, hard drive defrag, hard drive scan, full virus scan) to keep the drive itself and Windows operating system in shape. The latest Windows updates are important because they provide security and stability. You need the updates but in the future, before installing them you just need to make sure your hard drive is in healthy condition, run a good utility program like the one I pointed you to above, and back up your data on a regular basis. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

P.S. Check your messages at the top of this page. I have sent you a PM with some more information.

Daniel.
Last edited by Thinkpad Lover on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinkpad Lover
BANNED

#10 Post by Thinkpad Lover » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:48 pm

TuuS wrote: You can probably fix yours, but I've found that once a drive starts having problems like this, it may be find for data storage, but probably isn't the best choice for installing an operating system on. One trick some people do is to repartition the drive leaving a unused space (or small unformatted partiton) at the beginning of the drive. The theory is that this is the most used area of the drive, and by forcing the operating system onto a less used area, it won't have as many problems.
This sounds like a pretty cool trick. And the theory behind it makes good sense. I have at least 3 SATA drives sitting in a box which give the Hard Drive Initialization error. Perhaps this way I could still get some use out of them on some of my older machines.
Chris2011 wrote: I didn't want to lose the data, mostly.
If you can't get your drive to boot back up, then just purchase an external hard drive enclosure for a few bucks. You could put your drive into it and hopefully recover your data that way.

Daniel.
Last edited by Thinkpad Lover on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#11 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Chris,

Yes, you would basically state that you're looking for a set of recovery disks for T61 and state what COA it has - XP or Vista.

Try downloading and burning (on another computer obviously) a "live" Linux CD from here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=83

You'll have to burn it as an ISO (bootable) disk and then use F12 to boot from it.

Once it's up, check to see whether your old hard drive and files in it are still visible. If they are, you might be able to extract them to a flash drive, or an external hard drive.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Chris2011

#12 Post by Chris2011 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help. You have given me alot of great instructions and advice.

I googled and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIP-An5 ... re=related on how to swap out the hard drive.
TuuS wrote:Once removed, there are 4 screws to remove the drive from the caddy
I didn't see the 4 screws you are talking about here ^^^, and in the video, there was only the one screw.
ajkula66 wrote:Try downloading and burning (on another computer obviously) a "live" Linux CD from here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=83

You'll have to burn it as an ISO (bootable) disk and then use F12 to boot from it.
I have a cd burner, I also have roxio on another laptop (dell latitude - win7 - intel core17) I've been using. I haven't checked, but i'll check to see if ISO is an available format (?) does it require a special kind of CD disk? Hope that's not a dumb question (novice here). I can google it. I'll remove the hard drive and reinstall it and boot it up again. be back

Dang, the one screw is missing on the hard drive cover. I guess Geek Squad never put it back.....

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#13 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Four screws go on the sides of the caddy one at each corner, plus one holds the HD cover.

You can burn an ISO file on any type of CD or DVD media.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Chris2011

#14 Post by Chris2011 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:00 pm

It didn't boot up. I got the Error 2100 again. I really hope I can recover my data.

Chris2011

#15 Post by Chris2011 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Whats the caddy? Can you take a look at the video I posted? It's only about a 1.5 minutes. He doesn't mention a caddy.

mariol90
Freshman Member

#16 Post by mariol90 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:20 pm

I've gotten this error (or a similar one, can't remember off the top of my head) on several T61s, because the hard drive was not inserted with rails. it also gave the same error with an SSD, and all drives were working properly. so while it may be obvious, and possibly covered already, be sure the drive is not loose at all from the SATA port.

in one T61, a hard drive would make buzzing noises, yet it worked fine when i put rails on the drive, and it works fine in my W500 without any rails.
W500 - T9600 | FireGL V5700 | 8GB DDR3 | Momentus XT 500GB | WUXGA | 7 Ult
X200 Tablet, Surface Pro 128GB w/ Touch Cover

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#17 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 pm

In the video, he pulls it out of the machine by the caddy, using its plastic "tail"...so it's there.

Cheers,

Chris2011

#18 Post by Chris2011 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm

@mariol90, what's rails?
mariol90 wrote:....because the hard drive was not inserted with rails.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#19 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 pm

The rails are two rectangular rubber pieces that go on the sides of hard drive's caddy...

Cheers,

Chris2011

#20 Post by Chris2011 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks again, everybody, for the expert advice. I'm glad I found this post again. I couldn't remember where I posted this and the lenovo forum bites. I'm going to try to burn the linux cd and get the utility cleaning tool.
Chris2011 wrote: I didn't want to lose the data, mostly.
Thinkpad Lover wrote: If you can't get your drive to boot back up, then just purchase an external hard drive enclosure for a few bucks. You could put your drive into it and hopefully recover your data that way.
Daniel.
@Thinkpad Lover: what is an external hard drive enclosure? I will google it as well.

Chris

Chris2011

#21 Post by Chris2011 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Haven't called, but could anyone tell me if this one or that one are good external hard drive enclosures for the T61? Both are under $10, and I'm not going for cheap, but if it does the job, how about it?

And I guess, I'm going to hook this ext. HDD enclosure into a different laptop? Doesn't have to be a thinkpad right?

Thanks

Chris2011

#22 Post by Chris2011 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:31 pm

My HDD crashed (obviously from this post) can I use something like this to boot up?

Ultimate Boot CD / Disc Recovery Repair DOS Windows 7 XP Vista 95 98 2011

thanks

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#23 Post by TuuS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:55 am

Chris2011 wrote:My HDD crashed (obviously from this post) can I use something like this to boot up?

Ultimate Boot CD / Disc Recovery Repair DOS Windows 7 XP Vista 95 98 2011

thanks
I could send you a much better tool if you like, but these tools require knowledge of how to use them. I think you've got the best advice, boot a linux disc and if you cannot access your harddrive, I'd consider the data as lost. I'll also add that from the info you posted here last year, it looks like your CDrom drive IS enabled for booting, so if you cannot boot the Linux disc, I'd say it's not burned properly. Put the disc in a working computer and explore the disc, if it has only a single file on it, then you burned a data disc instead of burning a disc image, and it won't boot. The easiest way to burn an .iso is to use ImgBurn (imgburn.com), a free program and use the "write image file to disc" option. It's extremely easy.

Chris2011

#24 Post by Chris2011 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks TuuS, yes you are right, there was more than one file on the CD after I burned it. I will use the ImgBurn (imgburn.com) tool you recommend when I get home today. I used Roxio (that's pre-installed on my work laptop - a Dell). I haven't checked, but was there a way to specify the file type to create?

Now, after I burn the disc image successfully, when do I press F12, or do I press it all? If not, could you list the steps I need to do to use the linux CD? I've been skimming through the user guide here, but I'm probably going right past the information I need looking for the incorrect keywords and such.

What are the other tools you mention? Is it for the recovery process?

Thanks

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#25 Post by TuuS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 am

Page 11 of that guide shows you how to boot the live disc, which will run the operating system from the disc without installing.

Chris2011

#26 Post by Chris2011 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks, TuuS. I had gotten as far as page 6 "Installation of Linux Mint"

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#27 Post by TuuS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Chris2011 wrote:Thanks, TuuS. I had gotten as far as page 6 "Installation of Linux Mint"
Installing and booting a live cd are two very different things. I thought you didn't want to install?

Chris2011

#28 Post by Chris2011 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 am

Chris2011 wrote:Thanks, TuuS. I had gotten as far as page 6 "Installation of Linux Mint"
TuuS wrote: Installing and booting a live cd are two very different things. I thought you didn't want to install?
Yes, I want to boot my laptop. I was just saying how far I'd gotten in the manual, that's all.

Chris2011

#29 Post by Chris2011 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 am

TuuS wrote:Installing and booting a live cd are two very different things. I thought you didn't want to install?
According to all the advice given on this thread, I'm using the linux mint disc to boot my laptop hoping to see my hard drive and possibly recover some/all data saved there.

Ideally, I would like to have my laptop working again as I have software (adobe, microsoft, etc.) packages loaded on it, including Windows XP PRO.

Your question brings up another question since I obviously don't know alot about this area of hardware. Do I need to load a full version of windows 7 pro on my new HDD if this one is dead or can I just purchase the win 7 pro upgrade and load that? Thanks

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#30 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 am

You should NOT be installing Linux on your hard drive.

You should be using it as a "temporary/live" OS (from CD/DVD) to access your hard drive and hopefully recover the data.

Cheers,