Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New Lenovo X131e Chromebook

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

New Lenovo X131e Chromebook

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: New Lenovo X131e Chromebook

#2 Post by Puppy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 pm

WOW ! Another completely pointless concept. Who wants a not-the-cheapest-on-the-Earth notebook with a crippled system ? That's even worse than Windows Starter edition.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220, Tablet 8
Huawei MateBook 13

Ibthink

#3 Post by Ibthink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Well, this is only on sale for schools. It is not intended for normal users.

For Elementary School kids, this should be ideal, because they can´t destroy the OS. It is more uncomplicated to manage for schools, and the kids are still able to browse the web for school stuff or create basic documents, and its cheaper. So I would not call it "completely pointless", just because you are not in the target group ;) ). It makes sense for schools.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Puppy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 pm

So instead of pushing Microsoft to schools which was not a good idea (note that I use Microsoft software products only) we will now push Google there. Not sure what is actually worse considering Google products privacy :(
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220, Tablet 8
Huawei MateBook 13

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by ThinkRob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 pm

In other words, it's a Linux-ready X131e sold without a Windows license?

Yeah, I don't think that's too bad.

Sure, ChromeOS is mostly useless, but it's not like you can't just nuke it and install a real OS.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

jdk

#6 Post by jdk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 pm

ThinkRob wrote:In other words, it's a Linux-ready X131e sold without a Windows license?

Sure, ChromeOS is mostly useless, but it's not like you can't just nuke it and install a real OS.
At the very least, this helps keep costs down. Schools already have a volume license for Windows, why force them to pay for another copy?

Otherwise, kids get exposure to something other than Windows. That can't be a bad thing.
--
Cyrix 6x86

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by ThinkRob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:27 am

jdk wrote: Otherwise, kids get exposure to something other than Windows. That can't be a bad thing.
It is if it means that kids get exposure to an OS that pretends that everything is always online.

I'm just looking forward to the downward pressure on the prices of Intel-based X131es. :)
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.

Adda

#8 Post by Adda » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:17 am

I think this one looks decent enough, just needs a proper keyboard, but at least it has the trackpoint buttons, good school computer yes.

I do fear a cloud computing future, where we don't own anything, can't use our computer without internet, and are at the mercy of the companies that provide the cloud services.

Post PC era, oh a term like that scares the hell out of me, it explains why the IT industry has gone mad.
Like they suddenly think that all the knowledge they have built up over the years, was just a side track, and want to start over by making cheap equipment with low usability and poor ergonomics (think iPad), built to be thrown away once new stuff comes around (the crApple way).

ThinkPad A30
Pentium III-M 933MHz
Crucial 2x256MB 133MHz CL2
Mobility Radeon 16MB
15" UXGA FlexView
Zheino Classic A 32GB
Samsung SpinPoint M5S 160GB
NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A
Broadcom MiniPCI BCM43222 802.11n Dual Band
AKE BC168 USB 2.0
26P8287 203 "Malaysia"
46L4697
02K6898
02K6753

dmdsoftware

#9 Post by dmdsoftware » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I'd love to get one of these, but I don't think they'll ever sell the non-Windows one to the public.

I'd not hesitate to buy if I could get one without any RAM, HD or OS -- all items I'd be replacing with my own.
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

feklee
Freshman Member

#10 Post by feklee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Adda wrote:I do fear a cloud computing future, where we don't own anything,
You can set up your "own cloud", on your own server.
can't use our computer without internet,
You already depend on electricity.
and are at the mercy of the companies that provide the cloud services.
That's indeed something to consider every time using a proprietary cloud computing service. Lock-in can be pretty bad. For example, I have some documents in Google Docs, and recently I find out that they don't render correctly anymore. There is pretty much nothing I can do. Anyhow, I stopped using Google Docs for important documents years ago and returned to writing my documents in open formats.

dwilsonfl

#11 Post by dwilsonfl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 pm

As an elementary school teacher who has worked outside the system to get each of his kids access to a PC or laptop, and as a CR-48 Chromebook pilot test member, I'm glad to see Lenovo enter the sub-category of Chromebooks. Too pricey, but isn't everything now?

I have 5 Samsung Chromebooks plus the CR-48. (Thanks Donors Choose!) The CR-48 has a floppy screen I need to fix (hinges pulling away from the base, a known flaw), and the Samsung units are not exactly Thinkpad rugged.

I had been running Ubuntu on an odd assortment of Thinkpads. The Chrome OS boots ridiculously fast, is bulletproof even from 3rd graders, and does everything I need it to do. I use Symbaloo, a visual bookmark manager to organize the websites we use, and the Chromebooks deliver.

Now if I could get Chrome OS to run on X series machines I could really have a low cost rugged option.
Vocavit autem servirent

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#12 Post by ThinkRob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

feklee wrote: You can set up your "own cloud", on your own server.
So you can get all the cost savings and ease of administration of running your own server, coupled with the great features and great performance of a web application.
You already depend on electricity.
Electricity is far, far, *far* more readily available than broadband.

Summilux

#13 Post by Summilux » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:20 pm

ThinkRob wrote: Electricity is far, far, *far* more readily available than broadband.
Not to mention that a normal laptop can "survive" few hours without being plugged to an electrical outlet.
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

feklee
Freshman Member

#14 Post by feklee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 am

Summilux wrote:Not to mention that a normal laptop can "survive" few hours without being plugged to an electrical outlet.
Just for completeness: Various modern web applications can be run without Internet connection. For fun, I have developed such an app myself, a game targeted at Firefox OS, but it runs in every modern browser, of course. With Firefox it can be installed and started offline. Hiscores sync automatically when there is an Internet connection, otherwise they are stored in browser local storage.

Anyhow, when on the road I often have Internet, but no electricity.

rambo47
Freshman Member

#15 Post by rambo47 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:55 pm

ThinkRob wrote:In other words, it's a Linux-ready X131e sold without a Windows license?

That's the only use I can envision for anything that comes with ChromeOS. The entire Chrome concept looks like an evolutionary dead end. Like Neanderthal. As for letting Google get their hooks into our schools, no thanks!

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, but even as a Mac user I have to admit it's a Microsoft world out there. If we're going to teach our kids in grade school and high school about computers it makes sense to teach them on the tools they'll most likely use in the business world. If they want to study computer science in college and learn development/coding, that's the time for them to discover alternate operating systems like Linux or Unix. Even the most advanced high school students who are learning dev/coding for Linux still need fluency in the ways of Windows.
- - - - -
Yoga 3 Pro, 13.3" touchscreen, CoreM 5Y70 @ 1.2GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics, Linux Mint 17.3 (64-bit)
ThinkPad W500, 15.4" WSXGA+, T9400 @ 2.53 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 / Intel GMA 4500MHD, Windows 10 (64-bit)

dwilsonfl

#16 Post by dwilsonfl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Hmm... I'd have said the same thing a couple years ago but not now.

Was in business for a good 20 years before teaching - small firms like Procter and Gamble, Sara Lee - and what we needed was what worked. True, most revolved around the Office suite (in sales, marketing, and mgmt) but apparently M$oft realizes the browser is where the future is since Office 365 is an online suite now. Chrome is a good browser and the Chrome OS is getting there a little at a time with more offline apps coming all the time. But to me, it's not about the OS anymore.

As for the Google "hooks" idea, I am at the point where I like competition. Keeps everyone honest and someone needs to keep M$oft and Apple honest. I root for the Windows phone (and before that WebOS) for the same reason. Closed markets cost consumers more. Might be easier to manage, but we in education need every break we can get. Why do you thing Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is taking hold? We need the tools to teach and the public's money only goes so far.

Yes, I agree about coding. But realistically how many kids head that way? In HS, sure - just like we have labs filled with graphics workstations for the Photoshop crowd. But in elementary we can use all the help we can get and Google could help a lot.
Vocavit autem servirent

dmdsoftware

#17 Post by dmdsoftware » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:04 pm

rambo47 wrote: That's the only use I can envision for anything that comes with ChromeOS. The entire Chrome concept looks like an evolutionary dead end. Like Neanderthal. As for letting Google get their hooks into our schools, no thanks!

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, but even as a Mac user I have to admit it's a Microsoft world out there. If we're going to teach our kids in grade school and high school about computers it makes sense to teach them on the tools they'll most likely use in the business world. If they want to study computer science in college and learn development/coding, that's the time for them to discover alternate operating systems like Linux or Unix. Even the most advanced high school students who are learning dev/coding for Linux still need fluency in the ways of Windows.
I was a child of the 80s and I was brought up on Apple products in elementary and high school, as was probably most of everyone else in the 90s. That didn't cause any harm to me dealing with a Windows-central world. I think the same can be said in this case.
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#18 Post by ThinkRob » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:58 am

If somebody's ability to be "computer literate" is dependent on whether or not he was a particular version of a particular product from a specific vendor then he's not "computer literate". He's simply learned the mechanical motions necessary to use that software yet gained little to knowledge of the underlying concepts.

It's not something that we (or rather our education system) wants to acknowledge for two reasons: 1) it's more expensive to teach the concepts than to make kids memorize some specific steps 2) not every kid has the same abilities, but pretty much every kid can be taught to memorize a series of clicks. Both of those are uncomfortable truths for us, so we ignore them, we teach Microsoft Office $version_number and we pretend we're doing something useful.

Adda

#19 Post by Adda » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:11 pm

But this is what used laptops are for.

ThinkPad A30
Pentium III-M 933MHz
Crucial 2x256MB 133MHz CL2
Mobility Radeon 16MB
15" UXGA FlexView
Zheino Classic A 32GB