Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Qualified Thinkpad Technicians for Computrace removal needed

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
klwthe3rd

Qualified Thinkpad Technicians for Computrace removal needed

#1 Post by klwthe3rd » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:42 pm

Hello,

I read all the forum posts about Thinkpad Computrace removal and i've come to the conclusion that i don't want to deal with calling the company to try to remove the embedded software. The lengthy post mentioned that an alternative would be to seek out a qualified tech on this forum that could remove it on the hardware/BIOS level. I have searched the internet and there are many that can do the service but they are located across the globe. I can't find anyone in the United States that can remove the chip, reflash it and solder it back onto the board to thoroughly remove this malicious product. Please if anyone can give me the name and number/email of someone reputable that can do this service i would love to contact them to work on my laptop. I bought the laptop online second hand and it's in mint condition. Ofcourse it was super cheap so i should have known that someone was wrong with the unit but this is my first run-in with acquiring a Computrace Thinkpad. Just for reference it's a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4th gen with the I7, 8gb RAM and 2K screen. Thanks

Kenneth

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Qualified Thinkpad Technicians for Computrace removal needed

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:12 am

Methinks it's plain silly not wanting to call them...
If you don't have two left hands and know about EEPROM programmers such as CH341A, check this.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)