Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T42, slower performance on battery power?

T40/T41/T42/T43 series specific matters only
Twiggy

T42, slower performance on battery power?

#1 Post by Twiggy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:32 am

Alright,

So my recently acquired T42's battery still has 90% capacity, and still lasts a long time. I noticed that when running on battery performance in games is much slower as there is a noticeable drop in frame rate, when compared to running on AC power.

Of course I expected this to be because of some sort of power saving mode. I did recently go into the BIOS Setup and under the "Conifg" menu, went to the "Power" sub menu and set it to "Maximum Performance" for both AC and Battery, and I also did the same under Intel Speed Step, so as far as I know that should have fixed the issue. However I still notice the same thing, so it is clearly still present.

Is there something else I need to do which I may be missing, or what else could it be?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: T42, slower performance on battery power?

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 am

Twiggy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:32 am
Is there something else I need to do which I may be missing, or what else could it be?
If you have the Power Manager installed you'll need to adjust the settings there accordingly as well.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Twiggy

#3 Post by Twiggy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 am

Thanks,

I checked but it doesn't seem I have anything like that installed, just the regular "power options" in the XP control panel, but there's no options to do with performance there from the looks of it.

Twiggy

#4 Post by Twiggy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:43 pm

So I tried some more things,

I removed the lenovo power management driver and then tried playing a game, but the same thing happens, much higher frame rate / performance when plugged in, and also the screen is a little brighter, on batter there is a lower frame rate, and slightly dimmer screen.

However I have done everything I know to get it to work at full capacity even on battery, I downloaded the driver again from lenovo's website and installed it, but the same thing is still happening.

A friend of mine thinks maybe the GPU uses too much power and the battery can't provide enough for it to work at full speed?

Is there anything else I am missing?

I cannot seem to find where to change the settings for the lenovo power management though, it just shows up in "add/remove" programs and gives me the option to remove it, but it's not in any program folder or menu, is it just a driver, or a program with settings to change?

The "power options" in the control panel doesn't seem to have anything in it to do with performance, but more so when to stand by, hibernate, turn the screen and hard disks off, etc.

Any other T42 owners able to weigh in on this?

UPDATE:

So I found and downloaded the Battery MaxiMiser Wizard and installed it.

When I go to "Battery Health" it comes up in green and says "The battery is in good condition"

Full Charge Capacity 46.77Wh
Design Capacity 47.52Wh
Cycle Count 16

I also set the scheme for maximum performance, but the same thing still happens, again.

So it seems the battery is still in quite good condition and has little degradation, so I don't think the battery is the issue, but I am not sure, waiting on someone more knowledgeable or experienced.

dr_st

#5 Post by dr_st » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:22 am

It's possible you need to change some power management settings in the GPU driver. Do you have ATI Catalyst Control Center installed? If so, check there.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

Twiggy

#6 Post by Twiggy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:35 am

Not Catalyst Control Centre no, but when I go to "Add/Remove Programs", "ATI Control Panel" is in there, and so is "ATI Display Driver", etc.

Thanks to this forums driver archive, I have found the proper drivers to download, would it be worth a shot to uninstall what is currently installed and install the drivers from the archive?

UPDATE:

I decided to do it, however it installed the exact same things, however then I went to "Advanced" under "Settings" in the system properties, and it showed me the all the ATI stuff, and there was a tab called "Powerplay" it said it was running in high performance mode when the AC was in, and after I disconnected it, but I decided to disable Powerplay entirely, and that did the job, there is no more performance difference between AC and battery, except for the screen being brighter on AC.

issue resolved then.