Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Dead M91p. Recovery possible?

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
Garlic Bread

Dead M91p. Recovery possible?

#1 Post by Garlic Bread » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Hi.

I recently acquired a Thinkcentre M91p which worked when I picked it up, but as I was installing WinXP the display output from the iGPU suddenly died and the system became unresponsive. I tried to insert a couple of dGPUs that I know to work (a Radeon HD 7570 and a R7 250), but neither gave a display output. During my testing I got two short beeps on boot which according to the manual is a CMOS error, but without being able to see what happens on screen I can't really do anything about it. I tried changing the CMOS battery, I activated the CMOS reset jumper, and I swapped the existing i5-2400 for an i7-2600 just in case that the iGPU was at fault. Nothing gave me the display output back, but the CPU swap ended the CMOS error beeps for some reason.

Have you got any idea what might fix the issue? I have an unused M92p mobo in my pile of spare parts which I assume would fix the error, but I would like to salvage the original mobo if possible.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Dead M91p. Recovery possible?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:53 pm

Blown fuse(s)?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Garlic Bread

#3 Post by Garlic Bread » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:56 pm

I should not have said that the system became unresponsive, because the fans and LEDs still come on when I press the start button.

Where is the fuses located? The manual does not mention them, but it would make sense if the fuses was not meant to be a serviceable part.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:56 am

Try and get the schematics for it.
On the mobo fuses are (usually) marked as F1, F2, F3 etc. and often you also find their value printed nearby.
Use a multimeter to check those fuses for Continuity.
If blown, piggyback-solder a new one on top of the old one.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:55 am

Have you checked if the RAM is good? Bad RAM can cause lots of weird stuff to happen.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

Garlic Bread

#6 Post by Garlic Bread » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:36 pm

No blown fuses detected.

I had not checked the RAM but I just did. I had 4x4GB of DDR3-12800U installed, which is faster than what the system support. When I installed it I thought that the RAM would just run as slow as the memory controller dictated, but now that I think about it this might not have been so. Anyway I tried installing a single stick of DDR3-10600U that I know to be good and the two short beeps on boot is back, but there is still no display output from either the iGPU or any of my Radeon dGPUs.