Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IPhone connection share via USB (WinXP SP3)

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
PePeFR

IPhone connection share via USB (WinXP SP3)

#1 Post by PePeFR » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi,

I'm currently in an hotel for work and I did bring my X31, to follow some MOOC (Python 3, another story).

While I have a Wifi card in my X31, the hotel internet connection didn't look very secured. I wasn't pleased to use it with my computer running XP SP3...

I have an IPhone, and at first tried to share my phone internet connection using Wifi. It didn't work : the Wifi spot was seen but it was unfortunately impossible to connect to it. Then I tried using USB to share connection... no way either.

I ran accross this page (in french) :
https://geekonweb.fr/iphone-partager-sa ... tunes.html

It explains how to share an Iphone internet connection via USB without installing iTunes (which is the last thing I wanted to install on my X31 considering the limited resources it had and the huge waste that iTunes would have made of them.

The point is :
  • Download iTunes (link here : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7529623 )
  • Don't install it !
  • Unzip the .exe with 7-Zip or equivalent, you'll find several installers inside
  • Install "AppleApplicationSupport"
  • Install "AppleMobileDeviceSupport"

You're done ! You can now plug your iPhone (tried with an iPhone 11 and iOS14) and access the web, without iTunes, and without risking your XP computer on an unknown Wifi network... :banana:

Hope this will help those who don't already know the trick.
IBM X31 with SSD drive, 2 Gb RAM. Ultrabase X3 (floppy + DVD-ROM drives) and a nice new IBM 2005 backpack !