Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Trackpoint center button scroll WORKS in Windows 10

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
pgoelz

Trackpoint center button scroll WORKS in Windows 10

#1 Post by pgoelz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:21 am

Guys,

Someone on the Windows 10 insider forum found a way to make the Trackpoint center button scroll work in Metro apps in Windows 10.

Go to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 9321113938

and on page 4, look for user Hogera's post on December 5th.

For the first time in a year, the Trackpoint Center button scroll works in ALL apps including Metro, start and file manager in my Windows 10 installation.

Paul
Paul Goelz
www.pgoelz.com
Rochester MI USA

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Trackpoint center button scroll WORKS in Windows 10

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:40 am

So it was just a matter of manually installing the driver via Device Manager?
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X601 Core 2 Duo T8100
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
On loan: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

wileE
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by wileE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:46 am

Not working for me. :(
Tried this on two X61 and on both Windows refuses to install the driver. Says latest driver is already installed.
Followed the instructions and also tried uninstalling the existing driver when it did not work.

EDIT

OK. Now it works. Thank you very much.

I had to select the driver manually from the list of options instead of selecting the folder with the driver. Going to post some screenshots later.

EDIT2

As navigating to the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN\UltraNav\WinWDF\x64 did not work for me, this is what I did:

run dpinst.exe in the C:\DRIVERS\WIN\UltraNav\WinWDF\x64

then navigate to the driver as shown here:
big picture warning https://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/19360 ... nktioniert
It's in german, but Windows looks the same in other languages.

pgoelz

#4 Post by pgoelz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 pm

However you get there, the key is to manually install the WRONG driver. Although the X61s does not have any Synaptics devices and a normal UltraNav install fails, the Synaptics UltraNav driver DOES work with the X61s Trackpoint and is apparently Windows 10 compliant. When you force it to install, the driver detects the Trackpoint and uses it, leaving the touchpad part of the configuration window greyed out.

It remains to be seen if Windows Update will eventually replace the driver with the "correct" one.

I have two X61s. One has been running Windows 10 (insider builds) and one has remained on Windows 7 but I may just run a backup and then upgrade it since it has a faster CPU, an SSD and more RAM. I was holding out because I could not give up the Trackpoint scroll funciton but the rest of Windows 10 is not that bad, especially if you install Classic Shell.

Paul
Paul Goelz
www.pgoelz.com
Rochester MI USA

wileE
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by wileE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:24 pm

pgoelz wrote: It remains to be seen if Windows Update will eventually replace the driver with the "correct" one.
I have installed the driver on 3 X61 now, restartet several times and run Windows update. No problems.

It is extremely unlikely for Lenovo to ever make a newer version of the trackpoint driver, so I would consider it equally unlikely for Windows to install a different driver.

pgoelz

#6 Post by pgoelz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:04 pm

wileE wrote:
pgoelz wrote: It remains to be seen if Windows Update will eventually replace the driver with the "correct" one.
I have installed the driver on 3 X61 now, restartet several times and run Windows update. No problems.

It is extremely unlikely for Lenovo to ever make a newer version of the trackpoint driver, so I would consider it equally unlikely for Windows to install a different driver.
My concern was that since Windows does not consider the Synaptics driver to be "correct" for the X61 it might try to replace it at some point. To test this, I went into device manager and clicked "update driver" and sure enough, it replaced it with the "PS2 Trackpoint" driver and killed center button scrolling in Metro apps. So it would seem likely that Windows update may eventually do the same.

However, the solution is fairly straightforward... just force another Synaptics driver install and reboot. Or maybe just click "roll back driver".

Good old Windows 10. Gets you one way or t'other.......

Paul
Paul Goelz
www.pgoelz.com
Rochester MI USA

mr_yellow

#7 Post by mr_yellow » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:27 pm

hallelujah!

I'm going to give this a shot when I get home tonight.....

edit: this is awesome... my thinkpad suddenly has a new life to it... it's amazing how something so little can affect the usability of a device.
Last edited by mr_yellow on Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wileE
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by wileE » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:18 pm

The setting for scroll speed in the mouse menu doesn't stick. :(
After reboot it gets set back to 1. Ideas anyone?

jeremiahrose

#9 Post by jeremiahrose » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 am

Here are the full instructions incase the link to the Microsoft forum becomes unavailable. Credit to Hogera:
I found the way of installing ultranavi driver to my X61 which doesnt have ultranavi pointing device but only trackpoint.

Now I can use trackpoint scrolling on Windwos10 startmenu and metro apps including Microsoft Edge browser!!

1) install ultranavi driver : http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103517

2) During installation, it is rejected to install driver but it's ok.

3) open device manager, select trackpoint and search new driver. It is important not to search automatically nor via internet but select driver on PC (use disk search option).

4) My windows10 is 64bits so I selected the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN\UltraNav\WinWDF\x64

5) go installation (select Synaptics Pointing Device!! in may case ThinkPad Pointing Device cases problem of startup process of Windows) and restart pc.

6) Property of mouse now shows UltraNavi tab instead of TrackPoint tab and touchpad is gray out but trackpoint works including chage of setting.

There exists a possibility that only above-mentioned specific driver works but I suppose this way can be applied to some old ThinkPad without pointing device but only trackpoint device.
Worked for me on my X200s!