Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 bios update bsod fix with usb drive

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Droider

X220 bios update bsod fix with usb drive

#1 Post by Droider » Wed May 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi everyone,

New owner of a "new" x220 here, such a beautiful and utilitarian looking machine, i am stoked. So i have been playing with my new toy, installed windows 10 in uefi mode and setup all drivers&updates nicely. It was time to upgrade the bios to the latest official version 1.46. However i encountered bsod while trying to flash the bios. No matter what i tried, it always bsods. Searched the web about the issue, it is common for those who installed windows10 in uefi mode. I found answers and some fixes to overcome the bsod isuse while trying to install the bios update, yet they weren't what i really needed cause

1- Some suggested to format the machine to win7 32bit just to flash the bios cause the windows 10 installed in uefi mode causes the issue itself. I couldn't justify formatting a perfectly setup windows environment just to flash a bios update.
2- Booting from the BIOS Update (Bootable CD) iso flash update utility, which x220 lacks a dvd drive to boot from and i don't have an external dvd drive.
3- Linux commands to convert the x220 cd BIOS Update (Bootable CD) to usb drive flashable which i have no clue about linux stuff.

Here is how i fixed the issue. It is a simple and real solution for anyone with X220.
Disable uefi and enable legacy mode from bios.

1- download x220 BIOS Update (Bootable CD) from lenovo.
2- download iso buster utility from https://www.isobuster.com/downloads
3- Open x220 cd iso image with isobuster
4- Extract the NERO BURNING ROM.img and flash it to usb drive with rufus.
5- Boot from usb drive and follow the instructions on screen.
6- Bios successfully updated.
7- Enter bios and enable uefi mode again, boot to your windows 10 uefi setup.
DELL PRECISION M6300
c2d T9300 2.5ghz, 8gb hynix ddr2, Quadro FX3600M 512mb 256bit,
Sandisk X300 256gb, 17.1" wuXGA 73hz(oc'd) truelife, Sony Bc-5500s Blu-ray, wifiLink 4965AGN,W10Pro
8)