Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

extra 4g ram for T510?

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 series specific matters only
Beldar

extra 4g ram for T510?

#1 Post by Beldar » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:35 pm

I have the stock 4 of DDR3, want to go to 8. Suggestions?

atagunov

Re: extra 4g ram for T510?

#2 Post by atagunov » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:44 pm

Mostly all the Thiknpads I've seen except for W series only have 2 RAM slots. I think it is a very safe assumption that T510 also has two (if you doubt pls. check HMM). Assuming it's only got two..

- if you have one 4Gb RAM stick purchase another 4Gb DDR3 SO-DIMM
- if you have two 2Gb RAM sticks purchase a couple of 4Gb DDR3 SO-DIMM sticks - better to purchase them together as the general wisdom has always been to use RAM sticks in pairs matching as closely as possible

If you would like to check how many sticks you've got without opening T510 then perhaps "dmidecode" will help you under Linux. Not sure what app is best under Windows :)

Mostly any DDR3 should work though you would be well advised to shop within reputable brands. There should be plenty of RAM on ebay and in other places.
For reference: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T510
X220, 2 *T520

Screamer

#3 Post by Screamer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Firstly, don't purchase any sort of 4 GB 1Rx8 DDR3 RAM module. Those will not work (although they do POST) as their memory chip density is far too high for the T510's memory controller to handle. Stay with 4 GB 2Rx8 DDR3 RAM modules, just like how a page on the ThinkWiki has pointed it out.

Secondly, the T510 cannot make use of DDR3-1333 or higher speeds, as its memory controller does not support it. For example, if you were to buy a DDR3L-1866 RAM module, it wouldn't run at DDR3-1866 as the memory controller is not capable of running it at that speed. In other words, you're stuck at DDR3-1066 speeds on a T510.

Thirdly, DDR3L (1.35 V) RAM modules are known to work at DDR3 (1.5 V) RAM specifications. As long as you buy a DDR3L RAM module that isn't from a bad or shoddy manufacturer, you should be fine as they comply to the JEDEC specification.

Beldar

#4 Post by Beldar » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am

OK, thanks for the info and heads-up. CPU-Z reports it has two 2GB strips of Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz, different brands (Elpida and Samsung), so I'll look to buy a pair of Dual-Channel DDR3 4GB strips, same brand. The other info you've given is unfortunately over my head, and I'm unable to study it enough to comprehend. Generally I prefer to buy parts from Amaz or NewEg and sourced from Taiwan or S.Korea rather than mainland. Putting "4 GB 2Rx8 DDR3 RAM" into Am gives 1600 results, most from companies unknown to me.

atagunov

#5 Post by atagunov » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 am

Beldar wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am
so I'll look to buy a pair of Dual-Channel DDR3 4GB strips
Actually the RAM sticks are not dual-channel by themselves :)
RAM works dual-channel when you put a pair of RAM sticks into your Thinkpad, like you have now
I understand dual-channel means that data exchange can happen with both ram sticks simultaneously
dual-channel is faster than single channel and the general opinion was that having two ram sticks match as closely as possible helps ensure the RAM indeed ends up working in dual-channel mode
Beldar wrote:
same brand
Not just same brand, just buy two together. So long as you're buying from a sane seller that should ensure you will get identical ram sticks
Beldar wrote:
The other info you've given is unfortunately over my head
Hmm.. was there much other info?.. :) I'd suggest to stick to reputable brands, look among reputable sellers, look for low price and once you find somehow confirm it's indeed 2Rx8.. If you know exact manufacturer's designation for your RAM you can look up details somewhere online and thus see if it's 1Rx8 or 2Rx8. Many thanks to Screamer for correcting me.. I enjoy learning little stuff like this.

What screamer was saying is that it's not important if your memory is marked as DDR3 or DDR3L, he said that so long as it's a reputable brand it should work in either case.

He also said that of all varieties of DDR3 you may wish to avoid PC3-6400 aka DDR3-800 since it's a little on the slower side but all other kinds PC3-8500 aka DDR3-1066, PC3-10600 aka DDR3-1333, PC3-12800 aka DDR3-1600, PC3-14900 aka DDR3-1866, ... are equally suitable. In fact they will all run at PC3-8500 aka DDR3-1066 speed since that is the maximum T510 supports. In fact you have seen your current RAM running at 532Mhz which corresponds to PC3-8500 aka DDR3-1066 row in that wikipedia page. Lower spec modules may be a little cheaper than higher spec ones, so PC3-10600 aka DDR3-1333 may be cheaper than C3-14900 aka DDR3-1866 and since they will work just the same way you're well advised not to look for higher specs.

Make sure to purchase SO-DIMM modules not the cheaper DIMM ones :) ! You probably know DIMM-s are for desktops, they are longer, have a look at the photos. In fact DDR3 SO-DIMM-s differ say from DDR2 or DDR4 SO-DIMM-s in the location of that notch along the "bottom" side. Make sure you're able to recognise DDR3 SO-DIMM from other types of memory just but their looks (like here). This will help you find your way around Asian sale sites with 1600 items advertised on them :) While looking at TaoBao I even saw some offers that combined DDR2 and DDR3 under the same sale and you had to choose the right type from a multiple-selection. Also make sure not to buy accidentally 2*2Gb, e.g. what you have now. While looking through TaoBao or ebay especially for lower price offers it's easy to get confused about what you're buying. In fact I had to have superbuy.com, my TaoBoa intermediary return a pair of RAM sticks because I accidentally had them buy 2*2Gb for me and only recognised my mistake when I saw detailed photos..

What are good brands? I'd think genuine Crucial is a good one, my T520 came from factory with Samnsung memory, I've purchased Kingston Hyper-X for my Thinkpads and feel happy about it, but that's an overkill for T510 being DDR-1866.. BTW among 7 8Gb Hyper-X DDR3 SO-DIMM modules I got one proved to be faulty, ebay seller refunded me for it.. So sh-t does happen occasionally.. Which may be an argument in favour of ebay or other places where refunds are easier..
X220, 2 *T520