Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Wifi keeps dropping, I have tried everything, please help!

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
pablobdx33

Wifi keeps dropping, I have tried everything, please help!

#1 Post by pablobdx33 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:17 am

Hello Dear Thinkpad users,

I bought a Thinkpad x1 carbon 3rd generation like a year ago. I have had no problems at all since I bought it, but then like 3 weeks ago, I started having problems with my wifi. It kept dropping and I don't even know why. So I started doing some research and there were a bunch of solutions I found online. I tried reseting the drivers, updating the drivers, reinstalling drivers, I pretty much reseted my ip, flushed my ip, reseted the network with the winsock commands etc. I called windows support as I thought it was a problem related to hardware, but when I told them I have tried everything, they told me that it was probably hardware related and that I had to call my OEM. I called lenovo and because I'm still under the warranty time frame, they accepted to send me a new wifi card. To my surprise, even with the new wifi card, the problem kept happening. I'm a data scientist and I use linux more than anything, so I decided to ditch the VM and to install Linux on my thinkpad, thinking it was probably going to fix my wifi issue. Now, after 2 weeks with linux, my wifi issue keeps happening. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm really desperate and this does not allow me to continue with my work and to be productive as I have to be worrying about the wifi dropping all the time. This happens at school, at home, at coffeshops, etc. so I know it is not my home wifi. What do you guys recommend? have you guys encountered a similar problem?

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Wifi keeps dropping, I have tried everything, please help!

#2 Post by dr_st » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your issue.

So, the issue happens with both Linux and Windows?

What are the exact symptoms of the 'Wifi dropping'? Does it suddenly show as "not connected"? Or does it appear connected, but no internet, or internet is very slow? How long does it last? Does it come back on its own, or do you have to do something to bring it back on?

I wonder if it's possible that the antennas / antenna connectors somehow got damaged. Do you have a USB Wifi stick to test?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Wifi keeps dropping, I have tried everything, please help!

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 am

If your wifi card is the Intel 7265, then try this:
I don't know Linux, so wouldn't know how or where, but set the wifi card to G only and then back to ABG.
In many (Windows-)cases that solved the problem.

Under Windows, check in Device Manager/wifi-card/Properties/Power Management that it is NOT allowed to switch off to save power.

More info: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... rking.html
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... rking.html
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)