Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Carbon Gen 8 - won't turn on

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
powergotmedown

X1 Carbon Gen 8 - won't turn on

#1 Post by powergotmedown » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:48 pm

Hello,
Experiencing an issue with the X1G8 where the laptop won't turn on. Power button light blinks 3 times when I plug in a USB-C cable but pressing it does not result in the system turning on. Note - the orange power light comes on every time I plug in a USB-C cable.

I've tried disconnecting the battery to no avail. The only troubleshooting step that seems to produce any bit of progress is disconnecting CMOS battery. After I do that and plugin the power cable the light on the power button turns on and stays solid for about 10 seconds. The keyboard backlight also lights up. These effects are the extent of the success as the screen does not indicate any POST or power on status. Also tried draining power: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/troubl ... =154788767

Something I noticed:
While CMOS is disconnected, battery connected, power cable disconnected: I can continue to attempt to power on the device and experience the solid power button light for 10 seconds all I want.
While CMOS is disconnected, battery disconnected, power cable connected: I can continue to attempt to power on the device and experience the solid power button light for 10 seconds all I want.
While CMOS is disconnected, battery connected, power cable connected: I receive three power button light blinks and can not do anything else until I hit the reset button next to the fan.

Conveniently my warranty ran out 3 months ago so I'm basically SOL. Anybody have any ideas?

Edit:
Currently reaching out to Lenovo and other threads I've read point to a hardware issue requiring motherboard replacement.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 8 - won't turn on

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:52 am

Welcome to the Forum.
If you haven't done so yet, get the HMM manual:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... hmm_en.pdf
Follow instructions for Power system checkout on page 28 and further.
Although it seems you checked that already.

I don't (want to) know W10 or its ilk but maybe this is the problem:
if you have W10/ W11, perhaps you put the laptop "asleep"?
If so, disconnect main battery and charger, then remove the SSD.
Connect the CMOS and the charger, and try to boot.
If it boots, go into BIOS and set date/time, press F9 for defaults, then F10 to save and exit.
Remove charger, reinstall SSD, connect charger and try to boot.

If still not waking up is indeed the problem, see also this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... c6e6ff908e
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

bbrenise

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 8 - won't turn on

#3 Post by bbrenise » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm having this issue right now (Same pattern of lights as well), did you ever find a resolution?