Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1E Gen 4(2,3,5?) Fans Extremely Loud

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
retinull

X1E Gen 4(2,3,5?) Fans Extremely Loud

#1 Post by retinull » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:15 am

I have an X1 Extreme gen 4 and the fans always kick on full blast when I start it up for about 10 minutes. They eventually will quiet down if I'm not using more than 30% of the CPU. They also kick on when I plug in AC. Again, full blast. They run loud almost all the time really. I've read that this is an issue with multiple generations of these, mainly because of the thin chassis.
Has anybody figured out a fix or way to control the fans?
I have the 4k Touch with the 3050TI(I know, battery killer... but I couldn't pass it up for the price).
Things I've done:
Updated to latest BIOS/System/OS/Drivers
Ticked the new-ish "Cool and Quiet on Lap" setting in the BIOS
Turned off Turbo Boost
Set Max CPU to 99% with registry edit advanced option ( Loses quite a bit of it's snappiness)
This probably helps the battery more, but I have my brightness at 50% max and my resolution at 1920x1080
As far as I know this model cannot be undervolted. Maybe I'm wrong?
Anyway, I may have done more but I'm not remembering at the moment. More than likely, dealing with it IS the way. But, I figured if anybody knows a thing about a think(pad) it would be you guys.
Cheers!

-ret

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X1E Gen 4(2,3,5?) Fans Extremely Loud

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:22 am

Your graphics card is probably a hottie!
Set BIOS/Config/Display/Graphics Device to Hybrid.
Check the air-inlets that they are free of dust.
Maybe put something under the rear end of the laptop, so it can get more air?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

gggeek

#3 Post by gggeek » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:58 am

FWIW I have a similar, but opposite situation: the laptop's fans are mostly quiet/ok in normal usage (win10, X1 Extreme G3), but a few minutes after as the laptop goes idle, the fans start sipping furiously.

I did try to pin it down to some specific windows processes, fearing esp. that a bitcoin miner had been surreptitiously installed, but did not find any smoking gun. I think it might be the windows defender AV doing full-filesystem scans when windows detects the system is idle.

I did manage to alleviate the issue by changing the BIOS settings for sleep mode - forcing S3 sleep instead of the advanced sleep states makes windows not use the more "hybrid" sleep, which means that at least the fans do not spin when I put manually the laptop to sleep.
They do do still spin when power-saving kicks in after a few minutes on not touching mouse or keyboard though...

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by TPFanatic » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:43 am

I'd believe that's windows, Lenovo Vantage, or other "friendly" software doing telemetry / data-mining or automated update checking.