Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

9 Cell Extended Battery

X230-X280, X390 Series
ComedyDave

9 Cell Extended Battery

#1 Post by ComedyDave » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi,

I need the longer life extended 9 cell battery for my laptop. The non-branded battery is less than half-price. Has anyone bought the after market battery and is it worth it? Or should i just pay the money for the genuine item.

Thanks

ComedyDave

Re: 9 Cell Extended Battery

#2 Post by ComedyDave » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 am

Over 80 views and not a single reply! come on, somebody talk to me

wojtekS

#3 Post by wojtekS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 am

The problem with so called compatible chinese batteries is: first in 90% of cases they use the cheapest "no name" cells available, second the battery controller is a worse or better copy of the genuine one.

People complain that these batteries loose large part of their capacity just after a few month of use. Some of these batteries are recognised as "non genuine" by the laptop - and without hacking the EC firmware cannot be charged.

ComedyDave

#4 Post by ComedyDave » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

wojtekS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 am
The problem with so called compatible chinese batteries is: first in 90% of cases they use the cheapest "no name" cells available, second the battery controller is a worse or better copy of the genuine one.

People complain that these batteries loose large part of their capacity just after a few month of use. Some of these batteries are recognised as "non genuine" by the laptop - and without hacking the EC firmware cannot be charged.

Thanks for the reply. I did think as much. It's best to just pay the money and buy the genuine item.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Depends, not all 3rd party battery are the same. You get what you paid for. I try to buy from a distributer who is at least in my country that offers a decent warranty. On the most part I've had good luck with non-genuine batteries. They don't last as long but at a quarter the price I can afford to replace them twice as often and still be ahead. YMMV

Geartooth
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Geartooth » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 pm

ComedyDave wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm
wojtekS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks for the reply. I did think as much. It's best to just pay the money and buy the genuine item.
Depends on which brand you get, really. BTWO is usually my go-to for Batteries, been running their batteries in nearly all my laptops and they work well, On the other hand I've had horror stories about other Chinese Batteries.
Your local Pony.

My Collection: X60, T60, X61, X200, X200s, X220i, T420, X130e, X330, X240, XPS 9350

Sold:E6320, X1C1