Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230T - A review of a madman (Slice battery \ i7-3612QE)

X230-X280, X390 Series
Daybringer

X230T - A review of a madman (Slice battery \ i7-3612QE)

#1 Post by Daybringer » Sat May 27, 2023 3:15 am

Hello fellow ThinkPad lovers!

Hope you are all doing great lately.

As the title suggests, I have an X230T (since 2018-2019), and had an x100e for what feels like a whole lifetime ago, could be 2010 or even before that...

The x230T has been my main device when going outside (or during evening research/work), the battery life even with off brand batteries was an easy 6h of reading and around 4-5h of light usage (mostly for website development or remote PC work through screen share).

And despite the laptop being a few years younger than the dreaded x100e, the x230T performs amazingly well given it's dual core i5.

Though time (and honestly my imagination) is taking its toll and I'd like to switch over to a quad core CPU, which I have been noticing lately.

I tried finding the will to get the newer X models, but the aesthetics of the x220/x230 Tablet models just scratches the itch that no other laptops can manage to do. I love the blinking lights for the hard drive, battery, internet and so on, and despite it looking more beautiful with the classic keyboard, I do like the newer style with the backlit panel, as it really tries to look the part with modern laptops. Given the rotational screen, touchscreen, pressure sensitive with the pen, small and portable, backlit keyboard, easy access to internals... The laptop is basically the best of all worlds.

In the end, instead of getting a new one, I want to kit up the x230T with all the gear and tech it can equip. I don't need it for demanding games (played mostly Mount & Warband without any issues) or high tech work, mainly for Photoshop, occasional multi tab web development, and some programming. Got an old OEM battery that I intend to send for re-celling if possible, and I want to change the i5 motherboard with the quad-core i7-3612QE, since the TDP is the same as the i5, I expect it to run a little hotter under load. But given my usage, it will rarely run at max load, but having two extra cores might come in handy if I need to do some more taxing work on it.

In parallel with that, I'd also like to get a slice battery for it, as to me the extra battery life will really come in handy since I'll be travelling a lot in the coming future. I do understand that the battery life will be somewhat shorter with the stronger CPU, but honestly the difference is not deal breaking for me. I plan on having two normal batteries and one slice battery. I tried searching for the slice battery online, but it doesn't seem to be very easy to find, and the places where I did find were expensive as hell. I don't mind it not being in the best state, as long as the battery is not completely dead. I expect the batteries can be re-celled or if anything, replaced.

So yeah, if you read all of this thank you for devoting your time for a little read heh. :D

If anyone has a X230T motherboard with an i7-3612QE and/or a x220(T)/x230(T) slice battery (I suppose the x220 model slice battery is also compatible), and is able to ship to Europe (more specifically Serbia), do let me know here! :help:

EDIT: Changed the topic name to accommodate the new post updates I have submitted. Since I no longer search for the parts, I thought giving an opinion of the set would be more of interest to people that also seek this stuff.
Last edited by Daybringer on Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daybringer

Re: X230T - Looking for an i7-3612QE mb & Slice battery

#2 Post by Daybringer » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:16 am

[UPDATE] - Got both the original slice battery (was for an x220 which I also got in the pack, but I reckon it can be used on the x230 model as well), and ordered an i7-3612QE x230T motherboard today. I'll keep this post updated when everything arrives, and post everything I find out about the performance, temps and whatnot, since I don't really notice any posts talking about the x230T with the quad core... Might as well provide info on what I can! :banana:

Daybringer

Re: X230T - Looking for an i7-3612QE mb & Slice battery

#3 Post by Daybringer » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:35 am

[UPDATE 2] - Hi there!

Another update for my fellow readers (I will most likely rename this thread since this became more of a review than a lookout haha), managed to find both the slice battery and the i7-3612QE motherboard (kind of), so I will let you know my next impressions after quite some time.

Let's begin with the more juicy part - The Slice Battery.

How I got it?
It definitely was not easy tracking it down. I had a dozen tabs open, refreshing every morning when I get up, and in the evening before going to bed. Some of you may say I was a bit too invested, and you know what? You are definitely right.

One morning I caught an ad (hope you can see the ad, if not I will add info about it anyways) where the person was listing an X220 and practically everything one would need. The ad was listing for 160 $ if one was to bid, or 220 if outright bought. It was in the US, so there was no international shipping, and part of me gave up hope, but that little speck mustered up the strength to ask the seller if they could ship it to my country outside the US. They replied that they added international shipping as an option (though wasn't really cheap, at around 150 $ extra, via USPS). The person even added more than what was offered (an extra SSD, and a cable that reminds me of the cables you use to lock your bike to a post, I even got keys for it and a "metal plate" that goes with it, if anyone knows how that can be used, do let me know)...
Basically somebody had a full business set (3 original batteries and the slice battery, ultrabase dock and the hard drive drawer, even multiple keyboards, hard drives etc...), and it was posted on sale for something I considered a reasonable price ( :thumbs-UP: ), given what was offered.

It was a bidding format, and of course, being on edge as I was, I couldn't risk a last second bidder bombing my will to live, so I bought it with the increased price. I paid the 220 + 150 shipping + around a 120 for customs because my country loves additional fees. So it was an expensive buy for a person outside the US. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has a single speck of sanity in their soul.

After like a couple of weeks or so, it arrived and I felt like I was a kid in a candy store, opening the box and setting up my table to put the cute X220 and my X230T next to each other, and the fabled slice battery that I was practically dreaming to get. The most fun and sick part of it all - I ordered that entire lot just for the slice battery. :SH!: :banana:

I have used the slice battery with my original i5-3320M, and I must say the longevity of the laptop has increase to an extent where I am completely not even worrying about it. With both the 6-Cell and the slice, I get around 10ish hours of battery life, though the most intensive thing I use on the laptop currently is the browser, and when I work on something more intensive Parsec is my friend, connecting to the PC back home to work on more tasks that would otherwise shorten the battery life much more haha. The battery health of the slice is around 85%, which to me is amazing given that it is at least 10 years old, if not more since it came with the X220. Pretty sad no local battery service works with these batteries as they said "Lenovo has specific mechanisms that we do not work with". In other words, I think they just said they don't know or don't want to hassle with it.

All in all, I have used the laptop on the field for at least two weeks now, and at one point I even didn't consider sitting next to places close to a charging port, as the battery life could last me a day without any problems... The dual core non-ULV CPU is doing a great job at that.

Now, on to the I7-3612QE...

I ordered it from EBay, and paid a hefty price for it (350$!). On arrival it actually worked amazing, everything was more snappy, Photoshop worked flawlessly, even some basic gaming felt much snappier (although I would use it more for Unity developing simple games rather than gaming), and the temps were not even much higher than that of he i5. Mind I used Noctua HT-N2 thermal paste (maybe a bit overkill, but as I probably said, these things aren't done because they make any financial sense :bow: ), so thermals were very satisfying. Sadly I did not have the chance to test it when my slice arrived, as the motherboard suddenly died and did not want to work, it gave power but would remain with a black screen forever. The seller agreed to send a new one so I will send a new review of the i7 and slice combo, while working outside, when it arrives...

Note: I know some people might want to know what OS is used - I am using Windows 11 as surprisingly the original serial key for windows 7 that was stamped on the laptop almost a decade ago actually worked when I activated it recently. I have no privacy issues as I got nothing interesting to show off anyways, I do on the other hand have Mint on the x220 as I want to learn more about Linux and how it behaves and works, and the x220 feels like a new machine compared to the windows 7 it came with. Just saying this in case someone comes with judging comments hahah :help:

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X230T - A review of a madman (Slice battery \ i7-3612QE)

#4 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:29 am

I was agonizing about upgrade options for my X220 i7. It had decent performance, RAM was already maxed out, and I loved the keyboard, but parts were breaking down (WiFi slot malfunctioned, USB 3.0 slot sometimes dies, CPU temps kept on going up, etc.) so I really needed to replace the system board at the very least.

I've seen the aliexpress listings of modified X230 boards. The X230 i7-3687U board cost around 100 USD, and the i7-3615QE board almost twice that. The i7 ULV caught my fancy--I figured that greater battery life was more important than a quad-core, and I couldn't convince myself to spend much on decade-old laptop parts, even upgraded as they were. :(

In the end I got a used T480s for less than 300 USD. Soon I discovered that its feature set was leagues beyond what the X230 quad-core could offer. :o

As for the 6-row chiclet keyboard-- I can live with it, but then I have an SK-8855 (which is basically the X220 keyboard in USB form), so I just use that. 8)
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:49 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:29 am
I was agonizing about upgrade options for my X220 i7. It had decent performance, RAM was already maxed out, and I loved the keyboard, but parts were breaking down (WiFi slot malfunctioned, USB 3.0 slot sometimes dies, CPU temps kept on going up, etc.) so I really needed to replace the system board at the very least.
I love the X220 i7. The USB 3.0 support which even goes to the dock is a very nice bonus. I am going to be using mine as long as it works (it dual-boots Win7/Win8.1). However, once it breaks - will I be willing to spend time and money to repair it / extend its life by replacing parts? Not sure.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:29 pm

I also have the Series 3 Mini dock. Its USB 3.0 port doesn't crap out, unlike the one on the laptop itself.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

Daybringer

#7 Post by Daybringer » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:42 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:29 am
In the end I got a used T480s for less than 300 USD. Soon I discovered that its feature set was leagues beyond what the X230 quad-core could offer. :o
That was a much smarter and wiser idea, given that the T480s is much newer and that U processor will give all the battery life that's needed.

I was considering getting a more newer ThinkPad as well, but as probably mentioned, the form factor of the X230T specifically kept me in place. Like sure, I have a capable PC and even a "gaming" laptop, but ironically, both of those were acquired by getting jobs done using the X230T. Like even though the infamous X240 onwards has the integrated battery alongside the external (which honestly is more practical than having it as a separate part), and the newer models having much better performance, longer battery life, better screens etc... It just feels different when you have control over all those parts.

You want more battery? - Sure, slap on the slice like a mag in a pistol, or like you're assembling something cinematic! :lol:

You want a second SSD? Sure, replace the WWAN with the mSata, isn't faster in data transfer than the 2.5 SSD, but it isn't something that will really bother anyone really.

You need more USB 3.0 ports or a dGPU port, or even a THIRD SSD? Sure, you can do two things:
A) Get the ExpressCard and slap it in for extra 2 or even 3 USB slots, the dedicated GPU port or another nvme SSD slot (although honestly I didn't like the reviews saying that it could get hot and that it drains the battery even if there is nothing attached in the ports, so I never really bothered with it in the end)
B) Get the dock for it and forget the need for ports.

You want two more physical cores? Gotta pay, but you can get a basically plug and play component to put in the housing.

It was quite an experience tearing down the entire laptop with just one screwdriver.

The reason I am getting the quad core motherboard is to try and max out the config it can use (unofficially), and really keep it going for years to come... Even though as far as I noticed, it could push the same with the original dual core config.

If there was a laptop that shared the visuals and mechanics of the X230T but with a more modern configuration, would definitely consider it!