Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Install Lenovo Intel Management Engine Update?

W530/W540/W550 series specific matters only
WizardOfBoz
Freshman Member

Install Lenovo Intel Management Engine Update?

#1 Post by WizardOfBoz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Intel Management Engine is either a friendly bit of firmware code that ensure my computer runs great (Intel), or its a big security issue, possibly with a back door for the friendly folks at the NSA. And there are, at least in theory, security issues with IMT. Apparently it CAN be disabled, but not easily. So I just did a clean install on a new-to-me Lenovo W541, and it wants to know if it can install an update of IME to version 11.6. Given that I can't easily remove it, should I have the latest version to minimize security issues?

This update appears to be the intial installation of Active Management Technology and other packages (IME interface, IME serial over LAN, Dynamic Applications Loader, Identity Protection Technology, Mgmt and Security Status, Local Mgmt Service) installed, so would I be better off not installing it?

I have no need for any corporate entity to manage my laptop. Does Microsoft or any other support team use AMT?

ThreeIguanasPerSecond

Re: Install Lenovo Intel Management Engine Update?

#2 Post by ThreeIguanasPerSecond » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:22 pm

absolutely, but only if you care about security to the fullest. if you don't, just ignore it.

seems to be the usual Intel software suite that's not of any use, unless you need it for some reason. and that's up to you. if you didn't know, there's a way to manually update the firmware without needing to install the entire software suite.

Microsoft? probably. Intel? highly likely if you have a problem that's related to AMT or ME.
2011~2013: R40 (2724-BAG) || 2014~2016: SL510 (2847-9AG) || 2020~????: ProBook 645 G1

"There is always you can not think of the low price." - JD.com

screenshot

Re: Install Lenovo Intel Management Engine Update?

#3 Post by screenshot » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:14 am

does it have any drivers in device manager that i should install or i can just leave it there without any drivers?