NEW FHD IPS SCREEN FOR W540

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
kiterunner

NEW FHD IPS SCREEN FOR W540

#1 Post by kiterunner » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

Hello, so i have W540 that i bought originally new from 2014 back then, it comes with TN FHD panel ( 30 pins )
using this tank since new, until today and never had any issues so far, battery replaced once at 2017 and still going strong today
however, i would like to replace the old TN fhd panel since i also using another tons of thinkpad's ( younger ) and it seems that i usually see IPS panel then if i have to go back to W540 its little bit annoying.

found IPS FHD panel for around 50$ ish, 30pins too, and the seller is good review, good feedback and he sell tons of thinkpad's part since 2010.

Questions :

1. could i get the same color quality in between the new IPS FHD panel comparing to my origin FHD TN panel?
2. my current panel is still in ok condition, no issue, only small 1mm white vignette on the top right corner, and i barely can see it, but i keep thinking to upgrade the screen to the ips in the sake of my eyes :)

kiterunner

Re: NEW FHD IPS SCREEN FOR W540

#2 Post by kiterunner » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:57 am

update

i got the panel, its LG panel, IPS FHD and pretty stunning.
now it leads me to other upgrade, which is touchpad, i know there are tons of W540 upgrade touchpad to W541 one, have read almost all of them, and still couldnt find the effect of the 3 buttons within the screen/panel
i mean, when we close the lid, did the touchpad button will touch the panel? im just affraid the button will hurts my panel when i close the lid or the unit accidentaly got some push from my packed backpack.

any leads or advice will be highly appreciated

cheers

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:54 am

kiterunner wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:57 am
i mean, when we close the lid, did the touchpad button will touch the panel? im just afraid the button will hurts my panel when i close the lid or the unit accidentaly got some push from my packed backpack.
I doubt it. IIRC the Trackpoint buttons sit lower than the keyboard's keys, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

kiterunner

#4 Post by kiterunner » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:57 pm

axur-delmeria wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:54 am
kiterunner wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:57 am
i mean, when we close the lid, did the touchpad button will touch the panel? im just afraid the button will hurts my panel when i close the lid or the unit accidentaly got some push from my packed backpack.
I doubt it. IIRC the Trackpoint buttons sit lower than the keyboard's keys, so it shouldn't be an issue.
thanks man, good to hear that.
is there's any issues within certain touchpad vendors on the market? for example synaptics vs elan etc?
pardon for my english, its not my native language
i live in south east asia, and since couldnt buy from aliexpress anymore due to gov regulation at the moment, im pretty stuck with only local market sellers here

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:16 am

IIRC it's best to upgrade to the same brand of touchpad--for example, if your W540 has a Synaptics touchpad, the replacement should also be Synaptics. I don't have a T440 (or any of that generation of Thinkpads as I absolutely hate the buttonless touchpad), but after reading the touchpad upgrade threads here and on reddit, the problems with switching to a different brand of touchpad are solvable, but it's better to avoid the headaches in the first place.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

kiterunner

#6 Post by kiterunner » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:20 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:16 am
IIRC it's best to upgrade to the same brand of touchpad--for example, if your W540 has a Synaptics touchpad, the replacement should also be Synaptics. I don't have a T440 (or any of that generation of Thinkpads as I absolutely hate the buttonless touchpad), but after reading the touchpad upgrade threads here and on reddit, the problems with switching to a different brand of touchpad are solvable, but it's better to avoid the headaches in the first place.
yeah, thanks a lot for the clue, ive been search too in many forums, and always found issues within w541 touchpad in w540.
have the chance to feel w541 touchpad ( my friend w541 ) and, well, i didnt really like it tbh, im more into really2 solid touchpad like my P51.
i thought it will be sam feeling, but not. so i guess i will keep my w540 touchpad in original state then.