Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X210 ThinkVantage button

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62 / T50 / T70 / etc.
L29Ah
Freshman Member

X210 ThinkVantage button

#1 Post by L29Ah » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Do you have it working? Do you have it working in GNU/Linux? How do i make it work? It doesn't produce any ACPI events or keycodes on my system.
51nb X210 with vladisslav2011's EC mod; X230 with coreboot and nitrocaster's FHD mod as a backup; R500 for guests; T60 just for the looks.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X210 ThinkVantage button

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:27 pm

I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever actually used that button for anything. Likely one of those wierd deep hardware things like the thinklight and how it can be controlled by windows through some nasty BIOS calls and custom assembly code.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

L29Ah
Freshman Member

#3 Post by L29Ah » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:27 pm
I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever actually used that button for anything. Likely one of those wierd deep hardware things like the thinklight and how it can be controlled by windows through some nasty BIOS calls and custom assembly code.
It's a handy key for enabling the screen locker for instance.
In Linux on a Lenovo Thinkpad the thinklight can be controlled just like any other led via sysfs interface, and the key is interpreted as an ACPI event just like the Power key.
51nb X210 with vladisslav2011's EC mod; X230 with coreboot and nitrocaster's FHD mod as a backup; R500 for guests; T60 just for the looks.

vladisslav2011

#4 Post by vladisslav2011 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 pm

I'll try to patch the EC firmware to enable this button (and some FN combinations too), but I have to figure out it's scan position first. To do so I have to find EC's UART testpads on a motherboard or solder 2 very thin wires directly to EC pins or test nets from keyboard connector to ec pins and figure keyboard pin-to-key mapping. JTAG would not help here as enabling it disables keyboard interface. EC cmd 0xbf (read EC memory byte, arguments: 3 byte offset) was expected to help doing so, but, for some unknown reason, it does not work at all. The EC simply does not put anything into output register. Maybe I should dig into disassembly a bit deeper...
Update:
Thinkvantage button is usable now.
It is even possible to redefine every key and even add more FN+key combinations. Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=128267&p=837219#p837219