Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X210 issues/ questions (rant warning)

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62 / T50 / T70 / etc.
flyingfishfinger

X210 issues/ questions (rant warning)

#1 Post by flyingfishfinger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 am

Hey all-
Apologies in advance, I feel like I need to let off a bit of steam / maybe get some questions answered :evil: . Jacky, if you're reading this, please take it as constructive criticism... Long story short, I finally have my X210 full machine from Jacky. It generally runs great and the 3k screen is beautiful...

However, I'm finding a bunch of quality issues and I'm wondering if other folks who acquired full machines suffered similar problems.

- Most annoyingly, the SD sub card doesn't work properly. An SD card will get detected, then immediately disappear. Re-seated connectors, no change. I ended up swapping it for the subcard from an old X201 I have sitting around, no problems anymore. So, dead subcard...

- The bottom case looks like it's a X200 case, not an X201 case. This is evident by the fact that there is no speaker grille on the bottom left like in an X201 case. The "stereo" speaker in this laptop has the second speaker hidden under the subcard, with the resonant box trimmed away. As a result, it sounds awful on the left channel. Which bottom case did other folk's X210's come with? I could swap it for the aforementioned X201's case, but I'm feeling lazy at the moment.

- The screen bezel trimming isn't very good. There were burs left along the bottom edge and it looks uneven against a white screen. I have a good mind to take it apart and at least sand off the edges.

Basically, I'm surprised by the low quality considering the price I paid (in the neighborhood of $1300 for the i7-8650 version with the 3k screen. ) - defective subcard, bad bezel trimming, hacked speakers. I doubt it's got the aftermarket cooler either, but I might be surprised, I haven't checked yet.

If anyone would care to chime in with the state of their machine on reception, I'd love to hear about it...

Anyway, as I said, apologies. /Rant over.

Cheers,
R