Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

P1/P50/P70 and later specific matters only
Post Reply
Message
Author
vtohthree
Freshman Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 am
Location: Fairfax, VA

P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#1 Post by vtohthree » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Hey guys! I was considering getting the P71, I was trying to decide between the Xeon e-1505M v6 or the i7 7820hq, they are so similar in specs, the e-1505M v6 is just 0.1Ghz faster (4.0Ghz vs 3.9Ghz max).... and if I'm not mistaken the e-1505M v6 accepts both ecc ram and non-ecc ram?


It only costs $90 more for the upgrade... though not much, it also doesn't seem worth the small amount (just .1 faster Ghz, and can take both ecc and non-ecc ram..)... benchmarks seem pretty close too. Is there anything I'm missing?? Any reason why I should think twice about not getting the upgrade to the e-1505M v6 ? I will be using this machine as a workstation,3d modelling/rendering, video editing, and virtual machines. I'll be running it hard, but I can't see why I would really need ecc registered RAM, as I think the non-ecc standard RAM would suffice.

What do you guys think?

Cheers! It's been a while, I still own my T500, haha... and my T41 (though it's not really working anymore).
T41:*14.1'' *1400x1050 SXGA+*Radeon 9000 32MB*Blue Tooth II*Pentium M 1.7ghz*

T500:*1680x1050*Radeon 3650 256MB*T9600 2.8GHz

pathan421id
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm
Location: Ontario, CA

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#2 Post by pathan421id » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:20 pm

vtohthree wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:03 pm
Hey guys! I was considering getting the P71, I was trying to decide between the Xeon e-1505M v6 or the i7 7820hq, they are so similar in specs, the e-1505M v6 is just 0.1Ghz faster (4.0Ghz vs 3.9Ghz max).... and if I'm not mistaken the e-1505M v6 accepts both ecc ram and non-ecc ram?


It only costs $90 more for the upgrade... though not much, it also doesn't seem worth the small amount (just .1 faster Ghz, and can take both ecc and non-ecc ram..)... benchmarks seem pretty close too. Is there anything I'm missing?? Any reason why I should think twice about not getting the upgrade to the e-1505M v6 ? I will be using this machine as a workstation,3d modelling/rendering, video editing, and virtual machines. I'll be running it hard, but I can't see why I would really need ecc registered RAM, as I think the non-ecc standard RAM would suffice.

What do you guys think?

Cheers! It's been a while, I still own my T500, haha... and my T41 (though it's not really working anymore).

1505V6 max boost on 4 core is 3.4GHz, not very different from 7700HQ

7820HQ is the best "upgrade" you can do, with vpro and +2mb cache

ECC ram, probably not needed here

Saucey
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#3 Post by Saucey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:00 am

Mmmm, there isn't much of a difference really. ECC is kinda neat, the Xeon has P630 graphics while the i7 has 'standard' 630 graphics, but that isn't needed because I doubt you'll need integrated graphics performance.
Maybe it'll help if you use OBS or something similar that uses two GPUs at once. The ECC memory is a nice option, never know if you'll get a deal with ECC RAM.

The i7 has a passmark score of 9472 and a single core score of 2079
the Xeon has a passmark of 9968 and 2151 for single core...

I mean... if the $90 won''t hurt much, you'd get some nice bragging rights and possibly cement a higher asking price if you wish to sell it later.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook, Y50-70, T430
Collected: A31p, T43p, 2521
Past: W700ds, X1C3, 701C

thinkpadcollection
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 804
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm
Location: kingston, ontario, Canada

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#4 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Test performance is all grand but the true 4 cores with turbo boost frequency performance per core somewhat is less than the 1 core frequency and is not mentioned in performance test properly but taken together with all 4 cores active with turbo boost active also on 4 cores performance is still higher. Check your wiki processor list.

Core i7-7820HQ has turbo boost of 6 for 4 core means 600Mhz plus 2900MHz = 3.5GHz with all 4 cores active and 2.9GHz or less can be used for power saving while still on 4 cores. There is another Core i7-7920HQ with 3.1GHz 4 cores plus turbo boost of 3.7GHz with all 4 cores active. Same 45W TDP. See if you can order one with Core i7-7920HQ?

The turbo boost is a joke for less than 4 cores? Starting with windows 7, they use all cores so you will only see less than 4 cores active let alone 1 core which happens not very often, what is the point of not needing all the other 3 cores where you are best served with all 4 core active?

For Xeon same thing 3.6 GHz (4 cores active, TDP of 45W) being Xeon, does have ECC memory if you value the data the most for your work otherwise not needed if your activity is not work-related.

Hyperthreading applies to both but is 1core + 1 hyperthread ratio which is 8 "cores" total visible to OS. Starting with i7 and Xeon only. I5 have 4 cores with no hyperthreading, 6MB, i3 has 2 cores with hyperthreading and no turbo boost, 3MB-4MB, no virtualization.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

vtohthree
Freshman Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 am
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#5 Post by vtohthree » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks for all the responses and input. Like I mentioned in the original post, both CPU's are practically the same, same cache, same amount of cores, the v6 is .1ghz faster with and without turbo, and adds ecc... both have vpro, but I have no desire nor do I have a choice for it... vpro is active management in which it can be remotely accessed and managed, I'd use it as a personal work machine, not a deployed setup. In regards to the two, those are my only two choices that I can consider the P71( e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq). So I guess I can't go wrong either way really, and if $90 isn't missed, then I'll go for the v6.


On a sidenote, for those who own a P71 (@pathan421id ), would you recommend it? Are there any dealbreaker issues for it that still exist? I did some more research on it and apparently has(had?) some serious issues with heat and throttling down the performance. I've read about people putting in a better heatpipe on there that's used for the higher end GPU's (P4000 and above), but I was just looking into getting the P3000.
T41:*14.1'' *1400x1050 SXGA+*Radeon 9000 32MB*Blue Tooth II*Pentium M 1.7ghz*

T500:*1680x1050*Radeon 3650 256MB*T9600 2.8GHz

thinkpadcollection
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 804
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm
Location: kingston, ontario, Canada

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#6 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 pm

vtohthree wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm
Thanks for all the responses and input. Like I mentioned in the original post, both CPU's are practically the same, same cache, same amount of cores, the v6 is .1ghz faster with and without turbo, and adds ecc... both have vpro, but I have no desire nor do I have a choice for it... vpro is active management in which it can be remotely accessed and managed, I'd use it as a personal work machine, not a deployed setup. In regards to the two, those are my only two choices that I can consider the P71( e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq). So I guess I can't go wrong either way really, and if $90 isn't missed, then I'll go for the v6.


On a sidenote, for those who own a P71 (@pathan421id ), would you recommend it? Are there any dealbreaker issues for it that still exist? I did some more research on it and apparently has(had?) some serious issues with heat and throttling down the performance. I've read about people putting in a better heatpipe on there that's used for the higher end GPU's (P4000 and above), but I was just looking into getting the P3000.
$90? Go for V6 this will give you ECC as a bonus, more important than before especially dealing with large data or VM in memory for part of paid work, carefully consider future cost of upgrading between 32GB now or later? Make sure SSD is 500GB to 1TB M.2 anyway then get Samsung 2TB M9T in other bay.

And yes, good idea to swap out the heatsink for P4000 type. I always upgrade my notebooks with better heatinks this method for years if available. Oh yeah, repaste with better thermal compound called Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly. OEM method were pre applied crust of grey paste that is rather thick and many users of this type reported big improvement by redoing the thermal compounds.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

vtohthree
Freshman Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 am
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#7 Post by vtohthree » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:24 pm

thinkpadcollection wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 pm
vtohthree wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm
Thanks for all the responses and input. Like I mentioned in the original post, both CPU's are practically the same, same cache, same amount of cores, the v6 is .1ghz faster with and without turbo, and adds ecc... both have vpro, but I have no desire nor do I have a choice for it... vpro is active management in which it can be remotely accessed and managed, I'd use it as a personal work machine, not a deployed setup. In regards to the two, those are my only two choices that I can consider the P71( e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq). So I guess I can't go wrong either way really, and if $90 isn't missed, then I'll go for the v6.


On a sidenote, for those who own a P71 (@pathan421id ), would you recommend it? Are there any dealbreaker issues for it that still exist? I did some more research on it and apparently has(had?) some serious issues with heat and throttling down the performance. I've read about people putting in a better heatpipe on there that's used for the higher end GPU's (P4000 and above), but I was just looking into getting the P3000.
$90? Go for V6 this will give you ECC as a bonus, more important than before especially dealing with large data or VM in memory for part of paid work, carefully consider future cost of upgrading between 32GB now or later? Make sure SSD is 500GB to 1TB M.2 anyway then get Samsung 2TB M9T in other bay.

And yes, good idea to swap out the heatsink for P4000 type. I always upgrade my notebooks with better heatinks this method for years if available. Oh yeah, repaste with better thermal compound called Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly. OEM method were pre applied crust of grey paste that is rather thick and many users of this type reported big improvement by redoing the thermal compounds.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

Thanks for the response thinkpadcollection. Thanks for mentioning specifics like the kyronaut. I was just wondering, do you personally own the P71 in your collection? If you do, do you like it? Would you personally recommend it?
T41:*14.1'' *1400x1050 SXGA+*Radeon 9000 32MB*Blue Tooth II*Pentium M 1.7ghz*

T500:*1680x1050*Radeon 3650 256MB*T9600 2.8GHz

thinkpadcollection
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 804
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm
Location: kingston, ontario, Canada

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#8 Post by thinkpadcollection » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:13 pm

vtohthree wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:24 pm
thinkpadcollection wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 pm


$90? Go for V6 this will give you ECC as a bonus, more important than before especially dealing with large data or VM in memory for part of paid work, carefully consider future cost of upgrading between 32GB now or later? Make sure SSD is 500GB to 1TB M.2 anyway then get Samsung 2TB M9T in other bay.

And yes, good idea to swap out the heatsink for P4000 type. I always upgrade my notebooks with better heatinks this method for years if available. Oh yeah, repaste with better thermal compound called Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly. OEM method were pre applied crust of grey paste that is rather thick and many users of this type reported big improvement by redoing the thermal compounds.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

Thanks for the response thinkpadcollection. Thanks for mentioning specifics like the kyronaut. I was just wondering, do you personally own the P71 in your collection? If you do, do you like it? Would you personally recommend it?
Closest thing to Xeon is my HP Z220 and does have 16GB ECC memory in it. As long as you take care of any short comings with this P71 like re-doing the heatsink with kyronaut, find a way to cool M.2 SSD by sticking on a metal heatsink onto these M.2 SSD then you should have better temps. Even swap for better heatsink as you suggested if needed. This comes from my 29 years of computing experience and had worked on so many notebooks and finally answer your question, I don't have a P71. But knowing by researches will answer your questions. I can not afford current ones but I can afford older yet newer generations like yesterday finally fixed my Latitude 3350 with a motherboard that worked after 2 boards from sellers who did not test them right and one out-right lied tested and gave me hard to find motherboard (Lat 3350 i5-5200u) with X00 bios that I cannot update, now 230 dollars poorer. (upset feeling). I rather prefer have i5 but cannot find another! All I have is i3-5015u 2.1GHz. Frustrated.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

bit_twiddler
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm
Location: Salinas, CA

Re: P71 e-1505M v6 vs i7 7820hq, is it worth the upgrade?

#9 Post by bit_twiddler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:07 pm

ECC is definitely desirable if you care about the integrity of your data, but if you're just playing
games on it, then it probably wouldn't matter. File systems and operating system are designed
to work with ECC.
Daily Drivers: W520 i7-2760QM | W520 i7-2860QM | T420 FHD IPS i7-2640m | W701
Others: W510 | 701C (on its shrine)
Non-TP: Dell m7510
Currently Experimenting With: T420s

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad P1/P50/P70 and later Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest