Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Options for repairing broken MH4 terminals

2020 New name Series after T430-T490 / T530-T590
landoChi

Options for repairing broken MH4 terminals

#1 Post by landoChi » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:05 am

Hi all, in installing a new AX210 wifi/Bluetooth card, I managed to smash the internal MHF4 antenna connectors on my T14 Gen 1. It appears the antenna wires are routed up above the LCD and access requires removing the LCD. I've watched a few videos and it looks doable but I'd rather not go through all that trouble if I can help it. Anyone had experience/success splicing the antenna connector? The scale of such a splice (and I believe that wire is coax requiring a shield splice) is probably more daunting than the LCD teardown. I don't have a soldering microscope so I think maybe I just convinced myself to either open up the LCD or install the new antennas on the outside of the display.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Options for repairing broken MH4 terminals

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:15 am

IMO it's easier to just open up the lid and replace the WiFi antennas and cables than try to splice a coax cable that small. And that's even before the impedance and other issues that come with splicing antenna cables especially at the frequencies involved. :(
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: