Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x13 Case and Battery Screw Pattern

2020 New name Series after X230-X280 and X390
RichRx

x13 Case and Battery Screw Pattern

#1 Post by RichRx » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:27 pm

Greetings,
Small problem but I hope someone can help or point me in the direction of a resource to help. I removed the back of a ThinkPad 13 Gen 2 to upgrade the ram. The laptop powered up but no display so I removed the battery to hard reset. It was then that I noticed that all I had to do was remove the connector to the motherboard. When I reinstalled the battery I discovered that one screw was a different length and type. This discovery caused me to examine the case screws where I discovered that a couple of them are a different size also. Does anyone know the positions of the different size screws on both the battery and the case? Or can anyone point me to a url or video that will show this? The videos that I have found simply show where the screws are but do not discriminate where the different size screws go.
Thanks for reading.
Rich

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: x13 Case and Battery Screw Pattern

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:40 pm

1. Always disable the internal battery from the BIOS/UEFI settings before opening up the laptop.

2. Usually, a web search for "Thinkpad (insert model here) hardware maintenance manual" yields the correct manual on the first few results, but in your case I had to scroll down a bit, but found in nonetheless:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... hmm_en.pdf

Improve your google-fu, or use a different search engine.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

RichRx

Re: x13 Case and Battery Screw Pattern

#3 Post by RichRx » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:02 am

This is exactly what I needed. When I removed the battery I thought that I had carefully segregated the screws in a plastic bag. The service manual shows four screws to secure the battery. I somehow had saved five screws. I then realized that there are several screw holes around the battery, there are only four holes with triangles printed on the battery pointing at them. Of course the remaining holes are for securing the back of the laptop. Somehow I had included a random screw that must have been on the tabletop. This screw is longer and is only threaded at the tip.I'm not sure where it belongs.
As far as the screws for the laptop back, I'm pretty sure the two smaller screws go underneath the small rubber grommets.I am waiting to receive a proper laptop tool kit from Amazon tomorrow. I clearly need smaller screwdrivers and proper spudges because I also need to replace the keyboard as my son spilled water on it years ago and stopped using it. The keyboard either does not work or types random characters when you press a key, Also I believe it is supposed to be back-lighted and it is not.
Anyway thanks for the link and sorry for the long rambling post.
Rich