Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How update BIOS in Linux? ** Important, please help out, thanks! **

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
bwsb
Freshman Member

How update BIOS in Linux? ** Important, please help out, thanks! **

#1 Post by bwsb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:34 pm

Hi everyone,

How do you update the BIOS from Linux on the Thinkpad S1 Yoga?

This is a pretty important matter. I'm quite confident it can be done, but since it's not documented anywhere, I can't figure out Exactly how to do it.

How do you do this? Or, what's your best idea of how this should be done?

The BIOS update CD ISO is at http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS038335
And the Windows EXE file is at http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS038334 .

(Could you just write that ISO to an USB stick and boot it.. hmm! I think I tried and failed.)

Thanks!

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: How update BIOS in Linux? ** Important, please help out, thanks! **

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:14 am

Why would you want to upgrade the BIOS from any OS? Better to use the CD ISO link you posted. The instructions seems pretty clear to me, read and follow it for either CD or USB. If you're not comfortable with it and don't really need to update the BIOS then don't bother. If it's not broken don't fix it until it's broken.

bwsb
Freshman Member

#3 Post by bwsb » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:09 am

Ah - I have laptop and USB memory stick only!

So my clarified Q is: How do I write the ISO to an USB stick so that it's bootable and all works, from Linux?

(If I recall right, I tried a Bunch of tools on Windows to make a bootable USB disk based on the ISO, and they all failed, maybe like 4 tools.)

(Going buying an USB CD writer and a writable CD seems overkill to me, if I can't take the USB writer with me afterwards anyhow!)

Your help here would be much appreciated, thanks!!
Cigarguy wrote:Why would you want to upgrade the BIOS from any OS? Better to use the CD ISO link you posted. The instructions seems pretty clear to me, read and follow it for either CD or USB. If you're not comfortable with it and don't really need to update the BIOS then don't bother. If it's not broken don't fix it until it's broken.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Cigarguy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:40 am

Pretty simple really, take a USB drive and make it bootable. Then extract the ISO onto the USB drive. It would help to know what flavour of Linux you are running as then I could point to instructions specifically for that distribution.

Anyhow, Googling "how to make usb bootable linux", third link down leads to UNetbootin. I've used UNetbootin a few times to make bootable USB keys for booting Linux, BIOS and Windows from an ISO. Read that website and follow the instructions. UNetbootin is for making a Linux distro USB bootable. Instead of selecting a Linux distro, simply use the BIOS ISO from Lenovo's website.

Again, read the instructions carefully otherwise you stand a good chance of bricking your machine.

bwsb
Freshman Member

#5 Post by bwsb » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:06 am

Ok I'll try it later just to check. What I remember is that it seemed like this is an Ultra Special packing of the ISO contents, so that the usual range of USB boot tools wouldn't work..!