Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X201 tablet mod : adding a 3rd (and maybe 4th) mini PCIe

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
charlesd

X201 tablet mod : adding a 3rd (and maybe 4th) mini PCIe

#1 Post by charlesd » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:59 pm

I want to add more mini PCIe ports to a X201 tablet i7 motherboard for the fun of it.

On the pictures below:
- #3 is wired on the X200 (UWB), and based on http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=102387, it could be used with a whitelist bios if pin 20 is masked.
- #4 looks like mini PCIe but could also be mSATA, and I can not find it anywhere on the forum.

Image Image

At the moment, I am studying Mocha3 specs (block diagram) to see if some components have been omitted for this UWB port (CN11 on mocha-1, CN18 on mocha-3), but I often see DY/ASM. What do this "DY/ASM" mean?

Has anyone tried adding mini PCIe ports on the X201 tablet before?? (the only crazy thing I could find was a CPU replacement on http://bbs.8080.net/thread-258640-1-1.html)

What is this mysterious port 4??

Any idea or suggestion is welcome.

FryPpy

Re: X201 tablet mod : adding a 3rd (and maybe 4th) mini PCIe

#2 Post by FryPpy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:35 pm

charlesd wrote:Has anyone tried adding mini PCIe ports on the X201 tablet before?? (the only crazy thing I could find was a CPU replacement on http://bbs.8080.net/thread-258640-1-1.html)
Long time ago (long before i become real Thinkpadder;) i have soldered miniPCIe slot to samsung NC215 netbook for WWAN modem. I haven't got PCIe lanes (something must be soldered too to activate this thing) but USB and SIM slot paths are straight forwarded. And all worked Ok.

BTW mini PCIe slot #3 is for WUSB.
charlesd wrote: What is this mysterious port 4??
This is more interesting thing. I have searched this for T410, and have found this:
Rare T410 mainboard from ebay auction <- BIG PICTURE.
Like X201, T410 have 3 miniPCIe slots (and only 2 have soldered on common mainboards). And this - big white slot on the bottom. This is not miniPCIe. And schematics says that this is turbo memory slot.
I have checked it with turbo memory from T61, T500 era and this one is something different. Old (Robson) TM modules have normal 1 lane pcie connection to southbridge. And this one have directly connected to PCH with 16 lanes (this is not PCIe lanes). Only thing that was planned to supersede TM is the Braidwood. But i have never seen this modules.
The only photo of BW module that i have found in the net.
So do not play with this #4 connector!